4

'So Into You' Part 1.

AZ as Christopher 'Chris' Bordeaux
The Reader as Kendra Nelson

AZ as Christopher 'Chris' BordeauxThe Reader as Kendra Nelson

September 1998

"So, guess who I was chillin' with last night?" Trina, gushed with a bright, playful smile. As we walked, she glanced between me and the sucker she was currently trying to open.

Trina was my homegirl that I met while working at the mall about four years ago when I'd first moved to New York. We both worked at MAC as makeup artists. I didn't really do too much talking, but Trina's chatterbox ass always found a way to strike up conversation.

From there, I started open up and gravitate towards her and eventually, we became the best of friends. The both of us ended up quitting MAC together too after a racist encounter with the district manager.

But that's another story for another time.

Since then, the both of us had found more fulfilling jobs. I was now an executive assistant and she worked as an Insurance Agent. We'd both came a long way from working behind that MAC counter.

I'm just glad the both of us still remained friends. We spent lots of time together shopping and roaming the city in our free time while looking good, just living life.

I smacked my lips and rolled my eyes playfully, "Let me guess.. Roman?" I spoke sarcastically and she giggled girlishly as she placed her sucker in her mouth, making me shake my head with a smirk.

Roman was Trina's on and off fling. In their 2-year span of messing around, the two had never made it official but the moment one of them decided to entertain someone else, all hell would break loose.

I can't even count on my fingers and toes how many times Trina came to me complaining about Roman pressing her about her situations, especially after doing his own getting around.

I didn't understand why she decided to even tolerate it because she doesn't have to. She was the total package and could have anybody she wanted, but it was apparent that she wanted him. Unfortunately, he didn't want her the same way she wanted him.

If he did, he would make it official and commit himself to a relationship with her. Trina deserved so much better, but I couldn't want it for her more than she did for herself.

"So, what happened?" I asked.

With a dramatic sigh, she pulled her sucker out of her mouth and I rolled my eyes. "Oh, God..."