Rabbit in the Moon

Ah, to be finally rid of that... what would you call her? Rude bitch? Edgy Asshole? Ah, to be rid of her! Sun is behind his little cardboard structure and you are his audience. It's in the shape of a stage, so he must be doing his little puppet play. He's still preparing those puppets he pulled out earlier. It's been about five minutes since that woman went on her break so you figured that meant you'd have one too. You'll happily take that chance with open arms! You were tired, though certainly not bored with a daycare attendant around. Speaking of which, he clears his imaginary throat. "Ahehehem! Now, my newest friend! Have you ever heard of the story of King Jess?"

Searching for a memory of this character proves futile. You remember King Kong, King Midas, even Steven King... but not this 'King Jess'. Sun picks up on that with amusement. "Well! I'm glad that the kids keep promises! If everyone knew it, the story wouldn't be a surprise at the eeend~!" His sing-song voice makes you smile with an impatient curiosity. You didn't think you'd be this interested in a kid's story...

How tired were you? What time was it? You take your phone out of your coat pocket to see it's well past the 9 pm closing time. Considering it was 11:43, you started to hope the woman would be back soon. Didn't you have to clean the Monty Golf ball pit too? How late were you staying? Your job in the daycare itself was... mostly done. You and Sun threw the towels into the puddle and let them sit. You had convinced him that the lady could help take them out after her break.

The balls were still in a ton of huge carts but Sun had said he would put them back. According to Sun, it seemed that the one guy who worked with that demon usually talked with Sun while they dumped them back in. Apparently, he considered that the only safe thing Sun could help with. The nameless witch would then always wheel away the ball cleaning cart and take the crushed and defective balls to the back areas.

Sunny's voice startles you. "Are you okay, New Friend? Do you want a FizzyFaz? Maybe Sunnydrops? I've got some that some kids gave me-" but his words are too fast and your sleep deprived mind cuts him short. "Huh? No- No, I'm fine." His face can't change to one of worry but his tone tells you it would. "You look so sleepy..." ...then his mood changes to disappointment. "Awww, are you tired? I know people like to sleep but I wanted to show you my puppet show! Or my arts and crafts, or all the drawings the kids give me or all the toys they leave sometimes or, or, or.."

His voice returns to worry. "If you want to sleep, that's ok... I don't mind, if sleeping makes you feel better..." From behind his cardboard stage, the puppets settle gently onto the floor and he walks to the other side. He's careful to not startle you again by slowly shuffling to you with his hands out. You can't exactly hear what he's saying because your head is starting to hurt, but you do catch one part: "The lights have to stay on though, is that ok?"

He stops. Oh, he's done talking. You supposed it was fine to sleep with them on. "Sure," you reply with a yawn, "I could fall asleep any second..." Sun jolts to your side with his arms extended out toward you. "I'll catch you! Well if you fall, I'll catch you! And if you fall asleep, I'll catch you too! But I'll bring pillows!" You hear what he says about a minute after he finishes...

...and there's a calm darkness...

You feel better, like nothing exists but you and the back of your eyelids.

Until you're awaken by none other than the rudest employee ever.

"Are you serious? Get up! I'm not cleaning the other one alone." Sun sounds like he's trying to defend you, but his arms happen to be shaking you awake. He's whispering to her, "People need sleep...! You can't just wake someone up just because you're grumpy!" He speaks in a child whisper – you know, the one where they aren't really whispering and are quite loud? He keeps bringing your body closer to him but the jerking around is-... His arms are around you? You find your head resting on something very soft and fluffy.