Chapter 15: Natalia

I thought about Raphael's words all through the day. Despite the fact that I hated the guy I couldn't help but agree that he was right in a way.

To get rid of my feelings of self worthlessness, I need to face her and unravel the real reason behind why she left me at an orphanage and never came back for me.

Pushing down my nerves and anger towards the woman who gave birth to me, I arrived at Kaila's home address which she gave me once when she invited me over for her birthday party but I had to leave the country that day and couldn't make it.

The house was a simple bungalow with simple designs. It wasn't fancy but it was decent enough. I was truly relieved that at least she was able to provide Kaila with a decent life. That is one thing I am truly grateful for.

Pushing down my growing anxiety, I pressed the small button on the wall earning a loud ding and I waited with beating heart as I heard footsteps approaching the door.

'This is it Natalia. There's no going back now. I encouraged myself as the sound of the footsteps got closer.

After today I am going to know the real reason why my mom left and never came back for me. I would either leave this place a pain free woman or a more broken excuse of a human.

The door creaked open reveling Kaila in a tank top and sweatpants. Her brown eyes stared at me in surprise and I smiled softly. I can't believe my once cute innocent baby sister was now grown up and standing in front of me. I suddenly resented my mom for denying me the opportunity to watch her grow into this beautiful woman, to be by her side and take care of her. It was really a huge loss on my part.

"Miss Orsini, what brings you here?"

I was suddenly nervous as I was now seeing Kaila in a different light. This isn't the girl who I met at the Orphanage and suddenly took a liking to. This is my sister, my little sister I've missed so much. What exactly would she think of me? Would she accept me as her sister? The realization that she still referred me as 'Miss Orsini' made my heart sink a bit.

I smiled softly at her. "Is your mom home?"

I watched her expression change to one of unease. "Mom is in. Please come in"

She step aside pulling the door wider and I walked in mumbling a small thanks to her.

The home was warm and inviting but average and decorated with cheap paintings of nature and wildlife.

Kaila lead me to the couch in the living room. "Please sit down, I'll get you a drink and inform mom of your presence"

I noticed the way she said 'mom' without adding the 'my'. It made me a bit hopeful that maybe she would accept me after all.

"Kaila" I stopped her when she turn to leave. She stared back at me curiously like she wasn't sure what to make of me.

I took a step towards her and asked in a small teary yet hopeful voice. "Can I hug you?"

Kaila's eyes soften instantly and she nodded timidly.

I didn't hesitate as I pulled her into a hug wrapping my arms around her and engulfing her in my warmth.

Kaila was a decent size taller than me but thanks to the heels I wore I was able to hug her properly, resting her head on my chest.

"I missed you" I whispered affectionately as I felt the tears fall down my eyes. I never thought I would see her again.

"Mom never told me that I had a sister. She never told me about you" Kaila croaked out in a shaky voice "s-she only told me everything after the event the other night. I'm sorry that she abandoned you. She didn't have a choice cause she had to choose between the two of us and she choose me. Its all because of me"