Part 13

Chapter 9: Protecting her

"No!" Khushi screamed, shooting up from her bed, cold sweat running down her face. The moon light beam filtered through her semi closed binds, her room lit up but the soft silvery glow. Khushi placed a hand over her heart, feeling the speed up pulse underneath her hand. Shakily, she slipped into her slippers, walking to her door, turning the knob and opening it, revealing the long, dark, empty corridor. Silently, she walked down the hall and down the stairs into the kitchen.

Not bothering to turn on the light to the kitchen, she took out a glass from the cupboard, and poured herself some water. Sighing, she brought the glass to her lips, taking gulps of water in one breath, her body enjoying the feel of the cool water running down her throat. Turning around, Khushi felt herself calm down, when a shadow caught her attention from the corner. The man in black stepped out, advancing closer and closer towards her in an abnormal speed. She gasped, dropping her glass, clashing onto the floor into millions of pieces, the water spilling onto the tiles.

"I've come for you." The man whispered in his ice cold voice, freezing Khushi's body. In lightening speed, his gloved hand shot out, and grasped Khushi's slender throat, constricting her air way…

"NO!" Khushi screamed out, thrashing in her bed, tangling herself in her cover. Arnav jerked awake from the scream, immediately flying towards the tormented girl.

"Khushi!" he called, holding down her body, trying to get her to stop. That wasn't such a good idea. Instead of calming down like he hoped, Khushi thrashed more violently, thinking Arnav was one of her attackers.

"No let me go!" she cried, her sweat running down from her forehead, her eyes closed tightly, her body tense. Arnav scooped her up, hugging her close to him, allowing her small fists to hit his shoulder.

"Khushi… calm down… its ok." He soothed, rubbing her back softly. Slowly, the resistance slowed them, her breathing became less laboured, and Khushi's emerald eyes began to open.

Slowly, her room became less blurry, the dark kitchen faded away from her vision, the man in black disappeared. She could breathe, and no one was trying to choke her. It was then Khushi realised someone was holding her, that she was leaning on someone's shoulder.

"Arnav… Arnav?" she repeated his name softly, in a fragile voice. Arnav pulled back, his face coming to her view, and like a summer breeze, relief flowed through her, her body relaxing. Arnav looked at the young girl's face. She looked so tired; there were bags under her eyes from her sleepless nights. Her eyes were slightly red, her cheeks streaked with unnoticed fallen tears. Her body shivered, even though they were in the middle of summer.

"It's… him again isn't it?" Arnav as quietly, as if saying it in a softer tone wouldn't hurt as much. Khushi felt her throat constrict, nodding