15. A Party With Consequences

"Ms. Black, you brought someone here."
"Yes, Professor. You know Selwyn, don't you?"
"Yes, how can I not notice such an intelligent witch?"
Hermione's face turned pink and Bellatrix squeezed her hand tighter.
"Didn't I say so? I'm not the only one who notices your intelligence."
The born Black then turned around, her gaze fell on a bowl.
"Want some punch?"
the brown-haired witch nodded tentatively, then Bella left with two glasses.
Amid all the hustle and bustle, a blond student who she knew from Transfiguration suddenly appeared.
"Hey, Selwyn. This is your name, isn't it?"
Hermione nodded in wonder and stared at his purple blazer.
"Is your friend here?"
"No, she's getting drinks."
He nodded and pulled a piece of parchment from his coat pocket.
"Here? Can you give this to her for me, just tell her it's from Corby. Yes, do you do that?"
Before the brown-haired witch could even nod, the young man handed her the letter and disappeared into the crowd.

A few moments later, Hermione and Bellatrix Black sat down at the table and ate vanilla ice cream.

Slughorn's eyes darted from one to the other, finally stopping at Augustus.
"Mr. Rookwood, I understand your father was promoted at the Ministry?" The professor smiled his finest.
The young wizard, who was gulping down a pile of sorbet, took the spoon out of his mouth.
"Yep, professor. The Minister for Magic personally ordered it."
"And you, how is your father, I heard he's not well."
Young Black looked up from her sundae and brushed a single curl of hair from her face.
"Did you get that from the Daily Prophet? But yes, unfortunately. He is being treated at St Mungo's at the moment."
Slughorn's smile faded, "My regrets, I taught your father myself, I am concerned about his condition."
His gaze wandered to Hermione, who hastily grabbed Bella's hand under the table.
"And you, Miss Selwyn, what do your parents work as?"
The student took a deep breath.
She could hardly say that her parents owned a dental practice in a small suburb of London.
And that too 30 years in the future.

"My father worked in the French Ministry of Magic, the minister was so pleased with him that he posted him to England, my mother is a healer."
The Potions Master raised an eyebrow, "Really? You don't have an accent?"
By Merlin's beard!
The only thing she knew in French was the baguette.
Although she loved to study, she had never found a use for it.
"Oh, Professor, my parents and I have always spoken the language of my homeland." The brown-haired witch laughed, blushing.
A short time later, the group of students had cleaned up their dessert and was staggering around the room.
As Bellatrix noted, Professor Slughorn had a fondness for showing other people old photos.

"Child, look here, this is your Aunt Walburga."
But Bella cut him off, "You can't tell from this picture of her what an annoying bogeyman she is."
"Professor, I'm sorry, if I may kidnap you." Hermione grabbed the black-haired student's arm and dragged her behind a pile of junk.
"What's up, dolly?" Bella smiled mischievously and put her hand on Mione's waist.
But the smaller witch's face remained serious and she pulled out Corban Yaxley's letter.
"What is that?" Bellatrix's expression darkened abruptly.
"You tell me that! He says it's from Corby."
Before Hermione could react, her friend snatched the piece of parchment from her hand and ripped the paper open.
"What is that?"
"It's none of your business." Bella bit her lower lip.
"Why not? Show me!" The witch in the green dress slapped the letter out of her friend's hand.
When it finally spread out on the floor, she only noticed one thing.

A sign.
His sign.
A skull with a snake wriggling out.
Hermione's gaze shifted from the dark mark to Bellatrix.
"It's not what it looks like!"
"How is it then?"
But before the larger of the two could continue, they heard footsteps.
"Bellatrix! Trixie, where are you? Uncle Roddy is here!" His spiteful laughter sticks off the walls.
"Quick - I have to do something!" Bella whispered in her panic, pocketing the letter.
"And what?"
Before Rodolphus rounded the corner, Bellatrix approached Hermione, leaned over her, and pressed her lips to hers until their eyes closed and their tongues found each other.
Her hands gripped her waist, each other's wild strands in their faces.
The young Slytherin student's eyes almost popped out of his head when he finally found the two young women.