𝟘𝟜. 𝗍𝖺𝗄𝖾𝗈𝖿𝖿

The team walks through the cramped isle of the airplane

The team walks through the cramped isle of the airplane. Keith is counting seat numbers quietly. He stops them at three rows near the back in the middle part of the plane.

Keith: Alright team, this is us. In this row we've got seats 202 to 204 right?

He looks.

Keith: Yea right. So I'm this row we've got Lance at the window, Coran in the middle, and Hunk in the aisle, after much pestering on their parts. Guys here are your tickets. The seat numbers match right?

Lance, Coran, and Hunk nod.

Keith: Alright girls, this next row is yours.

He hands them the tickets.

Pidge goes in first, followed by Allura, and then Romelle.

Romelle: Hey! How come I have to sit in the aisle?

Allura: You can get up the easiest from there. I think that would be best for you.

Romelle: Aww fine.

Keith and Shiro walk up to the next row. Their row. The stranger that they will be sitting with is not there yet.

Keith: Here's your ticket Shiro.

Keith remains standing.

Shiro looks at the ticket.

Shiro: Wait, Keith, this has YOU sitting next the stranger.

Keith: Yeah, I made it that way. Now sit down, we're blocking the aisle.

Shiro: Keith, I know you. You are not going to be happy sitting next to a stranger. You sit down there.

Keith: I'll be fine. It's not like you want to sit next to a stranger.

Shiro: Really Keith, it's ok. I want you to have the window.

Keith: Are you sure?

Shiro: Absolutely. Sit down there, I'll sit next to you.

A look of relief crosses Keith's face.

Keith: Thanks Shiro.

Keith sits down, and Shiro follows.

Team Voltron are all in their seats.

Pidge shows Allura and Romelle how to buckle the airplane seatbelt. Lance shows Coran.

Romelle: But how do you unbuckle it? Can you not? Do you just have to sit there locked in for the whole flight?

Pidge: No of course not.

Allura shows Romelle how to unbuckle the belt.

Romelle: Ohhhh.

Pidge: Guys, see that little sign up there?

Pidge points to the seatbelt sign. The girls nod.

Pidge: If both little icons on there are glowing, it means you can take your seatbelt off, or just leave it off if you want, but if the one that looks like a little seatbelt with a slash through it stops glowing, you have to put it back on.

Allura and Romelle: Ohhhh ok.

Romelle: What if you REALLY have to go to the bathroom, but the seatbelt sign is on? Then what? Do you just have to risk peeing your pants?

Pidge: Ummm well, if the seatbelt sign is on, and you're going to be really uncomfortable holding your pee any longer, you can break the rules. But no other time. And if I'm awake, which I will be 'cause I don't really sleep on planes, just run it by me first.

Romelle: Ok.

Pidge pulls a package of wet wipes out of her bag. She begins to wipe down all the girls' trays, seatbelt buckles, movie screens, and armrests.

Allura gives her an inquisitive look.

Pidge: Sorry, my mom always used to do this whenever we would fly. She got me into it, and it's not really a habit I can break.

Pidge leans back to the boys behind her.

Pidge: Hunk!

Hunk: Mmm?

Pidge: Wipe down all your guys' trays and armrests and seat belts and stuff ok? The movie screens too.

Pidge hands Hunk some wet wipes.

Hunk: Ummm ok.

Pidge: Don't ask. It's just a habit.

Keith peeks back at Pidge.

Keith: I guess I'll take a wet wipe too. I don't want people's germs.

Pidge: Sure!

Pidge hands Keith a wet wipe. As Keith is finishing wiping down his and Shiro's stuff, a middle aged lady wearing lots of makeup sits down next to them and starts looking at her phone.

Keith reaches down and unzips his backpack. He pulls out his phone and earbuds and a pack of gum.

He sticks his earbuds in his ears and puts on one of his playlists.

Keith stares out the window. He feels Shiro pat his shoulder. He leans against him and keeps staring at the runway. Keith shrinks against Shiro, trying not to look at the stranger. Readying himself for takeoff.

A bit later...

Team Voltron has been sitting in the plane for a while, watching people find their seats and shove their belongings in the overhead compartments as the crew is readying for takeoff.

Romelle is bouncing in her seat.

Allura is pulling a stick of gum out of a pack.

Pidge has a similar pack in her lap. She squeezes it. She can feel the excitement tingling inside her.

Pidge is shoving her backpack farther underneath Keith's seat with her foot when she feels a rumble.

Pidge: It's starting.

The plane starts to move.

Romelle lets out a squeal of excitement.

The plane turns and positions itself on the runway. It begins to pick up speed.

Pidge is feeling it in her belly although she's still pretty chill. After a space ship, she can handle anything.

And in that moment, the plane lifts off.

Lance stares excitedly out the window as the ground below gets smaller and smaller.

Lance: Guys! Say "bye ground!"

Allura stares out the window at where the landscape meets the ocean.

Allura: Wow! It's so beautiful!

Pidge: Yea, it is.

Romelle: Wow! Is this what's it's like to have your ears pop? It feels so weird!

The plane begins to steady itself.

Keith is chewing gum, but he can still feel his ears popping too.

Shiro: You ready Keith?

Keith pulls out his earbuds.

Keith: What?

Shiro: I asked you if you were ready.

Keith: Ready as I'll ever be, Shiro.

Just then, the flight safety video begins to play on all the screens.

Lance in a sarcastic cheery tone: Oh yay, the safety video.

Romelle, Allura, and Coran: The what?

Pidge: You don't have to watch it. In case of an emergency i think we'll have you covered.

Shiro to Keith teasingly: Keith, they're playing the flight safety video.

Shiro grins.

Keith, sarcastically: Terrific.