29

"I'm gonna kill myself."

            "Everleigh, shut up."

            "No, I think she's onto something."

            Everleigh had well established herself as a wedding hater. Florence had invited her to the food tasting under the idea that she was the maid of honour and Roman couldn't make it. Fine. She supposed that's what she was there for.

            But Roman was there. So why the hell was she looking at venues with them? The theme was rustic. Any venue with exposed wood on the ceiling fit the bill if they put some fairy lights up. Honestly. It shouldn't have been a three person job—four if she included Navi.

            The papoose was worse than anything else. Everleigh acknowledged that Florence had carried Navi for forty weeks inside her. But it was exhausting carry a wiggling child on her chest. That should've been her wedding gift to them. Carrying Navi for the day.

            "You have to be interested," Florence said. "Leigh, admittedly, does not."

            "Fuck," Roman muttered, adjusting his grip on the diaper bag strap slung across his chest.

            Everleigh smirked.

            "And for the record, you started this entire thing," Florence said. "So smarten up."

            "How?" Roman asked. Like an idiot. Everleigh swatted his shoulder because Florence wasn't allowed to legally. Roman nearly swatted her back and probably would've if she wasn't holding his daughter.

            Florence rolled her eyes. "By asking me to marry you, you bonehead."

            "Ooo, romantic," Everleigh said.

            "Careful," Roman said. "I'll snitch to mom and dad that you're dating Maverick."

            "You wouldn't."

            "You know he would, Leigh," Florence said.  Done with the both of them.

            "I'm not babysitting for free if you tell mum and dad."

            "You're not babysitting, you're carrying."

            "Do you want to hold—"

            "No," Roman said. "I'm fucking exhausted. Fuck off."

            "Language, Roman," Florence said. "Come on."

            "Sorry." Roman flipped Everleigh off while Florence wasn't looking. Everleigh swatted him, a crisp slap ringing in the streets.

            Florence shot them a look. "Can you two behave?"

            "He started it."

            "Act your own age, Leigh."

            "Yeah, Leigh."

            "You too, Rome."

            "Shit."

            "Roman." Florence ran a hand down her face. "You think the baby's exhausting?"

            Everleigh laughed. "We all know Roman's a thousand times more exhausting."

            "You're such a—"

            "Roman."

            "Twit."

            "Good one, Roman." Everleigh laughed. "I'm so hurt."