14

Everleigh probably shouldn't have been surprised—nor screamed out loud—when she saw herself in the mirror the next morning.

Actually, she shouldn't have really said morning.

Because when she checked her phone it was definitely 2:30 in the afternoon when she finally woke up. (Yes, she ignored her circadian rhythm and its needs because she was still sad and waking up had her feeling like she'd been hit by a truck.) (So there.)

"Jesus Christ," Everleigh muttered.

It was something to say that hotel bathroom lighting wasn't good in the first place. It was another thing to say that Everleigh looked like actual ass in spite of the bad lighting. Under her eyes were swollen in a way that she'd be stuck with it for the rest of the day. Granted, it wasn't long, but it was frightening. Her eyes were still tearing up even though her near twelve hours of sleep had gotten her over her initial sadness about the call from her professor.

Everleigh forced herself to brush her teeth and finger-comb her hair; washing her face would have to be a post-some-kind-of-food feat. If she even managed food in the first place. God almighty, she felt like shit. She was sure if she phoned for room service her voice would be hoarser than a six-pack-a-day smoker.

When she looked at her phone again, she saw she'd missed texts from an unknown number. She was really out of it, huh? Three whole texts she missed while looking at the time.

hey, stevie is currently being forced to try on a bunch of ugly dresses but she wanted me to ask if you're free to hang out tonight. The second text: preferably something greasy. And the last one: sorry, this is jun btw. stevie gave me your number.

Everleigh managed a small laugh as she wrote a response back. here i was, honoured to be texted about greasy food from scammers. In another message, she wrote: i'm down! And then, because her curiosity was piqued: how ugly are they?

Jun replied quickly. Like Everleigh hadn't been asleep before she replied to his texts that came in at the very normal being awake hour of two. they gave her 3 gucci dresses to try on so *very*.

don't tell anyone i said that. Everleigh laughed. Poor guy.

brand name wannabes will come after me.

keeping all your secrets here, aren't i?

kidding. you got it. mum's the word.

client confidentiality from our therapist ofc.

how offended are you by non-authentic mexican food?

i'm british, we eat beans on toast. Everleigh snorted. non-authentic mexican food is everything.

i forgot y'all did that...

stevie is now craving baja blast.

if you're so inclined to enjoy the culinary excellence of taco bell.

Everleigh looked at herself in the mirror again. Hopefully she hoped she didn't live to regret her reply. sounds perfect. Another look at herself made her send another text, hoping the answer was not soon. what time are you guys done?

should be done by... 6. maybe. if seira stops interjecting every 5 sec w/ her opinion.

Everleigh could work with six. That gave her a couple hours to