31.2

It didn't take long for Brendon to rejoin Maverick and Everleigh after Stevie scurried off.

"She had to run," Brendon said. "Think we're about to get spoiled with some new music soon."

Everleigh took a step away from Maverick purely so she could glare at him. "If you knew and didn't tell me again, I'll never forgive you."

"I—No. Definitely not." If Kingston Maverick ever won an Academy Award, let it be said it would be for music and not for acting. Sweet Jesus.

"You're a shit," Everleigh said. "I'm taking Bash and leaving you here."

"Escape... Maverick," Brendon said.

It took milliseconds for Brendon to realize that Everleigh was not one to bluff. She took Brendon's arm in her hand, dragging him from the infinity mirror room and leaving Maverick to his own accord. Like she hadn't been—as Juno would've put it—all googly eyed over him moments before. Said moment had passed and now she was solely a MARS fan first, human being second.

When they were out of the mirror room, Everleigh promptly let go of Brendon's arm. It was then that she realized the fault in her carefully thought out and not at all impulsive plan: she hadn't the fucking faintest where said new music would potentially be. And judging by the searching glances Brendon was sending around the warehouse, he didn't either.

"I definitely don't know anything about this," Maverick said, catching up to them with a half-saunter that read he knew everything even if his voice hadn't already given his bullshit away, "but you could potentially stand over there if you wanted."

Brendon and Everleigh's glances followed in the direction Maverick half nodded his head. There was more art than anything but there was something to say about more security making their way around there than anywhere else.

"Lucky guess, huh?" Brendon said.

"I'm great with... hunches," Maverick said.

"Any other hunches you can let us know about?" Brendon asked.

Maverick turned his hearing aid off with a quick flick of his finger. "Sorry, I can't hear you! I'm having trouble with this battery—"

Everleigh shook her head and looked at Brendon. "Gonna suck that he can't hear me fucking dump him—"

"I only turned one off, Meadowlark."

"You know I'm kidding." If he didn't, he had plenty of photos on his phone of her grinning at him like a nauseatingly lovesick idiot. "But you should still tell us about any hunches."

Maverick poked his other hearing aid; a silent threat that he would tune them both out if he had to. "Weird, this one's starting to go too."

"I will happily agree to Stevie marrying Everleigh," Brendon said. Stepping up to the plate with Maverick's screwball on the mound.

"Will you be my bridesman of honour?" Everleigh asked.

"Do I get to keep certain names on the 'do not enter' list?" Brendon asked.

"Do you really think he's going to arrive on time?"

"Will probably miss his flight to the venue."

"You know what's great about this venue?" Maverick asked, having evidently turned his hearing aid back on. He pointed to the same place he'd nodded before. "That art. Amazing. Go look at it."