35

"What?" Everleigh was crouched in front of the menstrual aisle when her phone vibrated a little too loudly to be inconspicuous.

"You're such a joy to be on the phone with, you know that?"

"At least I didn't answer yello—"

"Yello is fun, Everleigh."

"It's stupid. What did you want?"

Roman probably rolled his eyes at her but Everleigh would remain none the wiser. "Does Mav have a suit for the wedding or does he want to come with me today?"

"Pretty sure he was planning on buying something a little closer to the date." Everleigh's eyes continued scanning the pads, tampons, liners, and cups. How come there was chocolate next to the period supplies but not what she was looking for? (Everleigh dropped a bag of hazelnut chocolate in her basket.)

"It's really not a bother," Roman said.

"Why, 'cause you haven't got any friends—"

"'Cause you haven't got any friends?" Roman mocked in an accent that was a little too good. Then again, he'd lived in London for years. "No. It's because I'm nice. And trying to save Maverick from being stuck alone all day."

"He was planning on taking Dewey to the Princess Diana memorial walk today."

Really, the plan had been to have Maverick down the street with Dewey at a park, and Everleigh would try on two outfits, pick one, and leave. Despite being Florence's maid of honour, two outfits was about all she could handle that day. Getting dressed to go to Tesco beforehand was difficult enough.

"Is that why he's not answering his phone?"

Everleigh had two options.

One. Admit to Roman why she and Maverick were separated in Tesco in the middle of the day when she was meant to be headed to dress fittings within the hour.

Two. Lie through her fucking teeth and hope Roman didn't notice.

Everleigh was, unfortunately, feeling a little too nice for her own good. That was new. She stood up and placed a hand on her hip. "He's, em, in line waiting for the pharmacist."

"Leigh, you're a nurse. What the hell—"

"Just because I know that Levonelle One Step is levonorgestrel doesn't mean I know where they keep it in the Tesco," Everleigh hissed.

Roman, loudly, choked on a drink on the other end of the phoneline. "I'm sorry?"

"No, I think you heard me," Everleigh said. "You just gargled in my fuckin' ear."

"So Maverick's... what?" Roman asked. "Doing your dirty work for you?"

"Technically speaking Maverick's half the reason we're here right now," Everleigh said. "It's both of our dirty work."

"Oh my God," Roman said, "I'm going to hang up on you."

"No, wait," Everleigh said, "Do you think it's in the menstrual aisle or the medicine—"

"I don't want to have this conversation with you."

"It's that or you're going to have to drive me to a clinic for an abortion if this goes downhill," Everleigh said. "Your choice."