Chapter 13

[Y/N] POV

I turned to Aulak as the tape had finished. Their face sat cold and stern despite the fear that lay in their eyes. 

“... There were numbers at the corner of the display.” Karla said, looking away from the screen.

“What numbers?” I asked, looking at the paper that was in Karla’s hand.

She sat her quill down and read the numbers. “ -389.22, then there was a pause and -402.39.”

Elliot furrowed his brows, taking the paper from her hands and reading over it again. “Those are the coordinates to the Southern Kingdom.” 

Karla gave him a confused look. “Are you sure?” 

“Positive. I used to hear it all the time.” he said, giving the paper back to Karla.

She raised a brow. “Why is that?”

He froze for a second, thinking carefully. “I used to travel often. Let’s just say that.” 

I nodded, heading to the door. “Well, guess we should tell Yield the news.” 

“Who the hell is Yield?” Elliot asked, Karla also seeming confused.

“The elf that we met. The one in the clown costume.” Aulak said, looking away with their arms crossed over their chest.

“Oh, makes sense.” he said, opening the door and walking out.

We followed closely behind and paused once outside.

“Well, good luck with this. I will be staying though.” Karla said, giving Aulak a sympathetic look to which they rolled their eyes and walked away.

“Okay then… Well, see you later Karla.” I said, giving her a wave before going after Aulak as well as Elliot who seemed to be in a rush to leave.

They quickly made their way to the horses and mounted, waiting for me to catch up and we were on our way.

It wasn’t long until we saw Yield standing in the tree’s lining, the crusted mud on their knees. They seemed to be deep in thought as they stared forward, unblinking.

“Uhm… Should we even stop? We know where we need to go.” Aulak said, rubbing their neck as they watched the clown.

I sighed, glancing at Elliot who sat confused.

“Well, if we can get information, we should get it. Anything to help find Krib.” I noted, recalling the tape we just watched.

There was no doubt in my mind that the person in the chair was Krib. There wasn’t audio or color, but the way the eyes appeared made it obvious. 

The question was, who was the other person?

I shook my head, bringing my attention back to the tall elf that now looked our way, a small bell in their hand as they started to walk into the forest.

“So are we going or what?” Elliot asked, looking to the direction of the sound.

Aulak gave a defeated groan, heading into the forest with their mule. We followed behind as the elf was no longer in view.

Elliot raised a brow. “The bell changed direction. We should turn here.” He pointed out, now taking the lead.

Aulak nor I resented it. He was far more qualified to be a leader than the two of us, in some senses.

Like the last time, we were led to a clearing where Yield stood in the center, holding the bell between their gloved fingers.

There was an odd atmosphere present. Not quite anxiety, but there was something cold. 

I shivered, dismounting my horse and made my way over to them as the other two followed behind. 

I couldn’t help but notice that Aulak had been trembling the moment we met the clearing.

Elliot simply looked around the scenery, not really caring what it was he couldn’t see.

I stopped a few feet away as so did the others, staying behind me.

“What was the hint?” Yield asked, leaning down to get closer to our height.

“Coordinates. The hint was the Southern Kingdom.” I said, placing my hands on my belt as I spoke.

“Coordinates? Hmm…” the clown brought a hand to their painted lips, tapping them attentively. “There is someone there awaiting you.” 

“How can you tell?” Aulak asked, their arms crossed over their chest tightly. 

The elf stood tall with their unbreaking neutral face. “You question me now, but not the first time?” they asked, their voice growing slim and smooth.

They leaned down close to Aulak, their eyes brightening their glow. “Why is that?”

Aulak sat silent, not a single word being able to escape their mouth. Their hands now clenched at their sides.

“Could it be impatience?... or maybe fear?” they cooed, their eyes squinted.

The two stood silent before Yield backed away again, turning to me. “I would hurry if I were you. I doubt they want to wait long.”

I nodded. “Right. Well, we’ll be off then.” 

Elliot turned to me, his eyes slightly surprised. “We’re going already?”

“Yeah.” I stated, grabbing Aulak’s sleeve, dragging them behind me as I walked back to the horses. Elliot shrugged and followed.