Chapter 16

Aulak handed me the note, taking a step back to Xulio, looking him over once more.

"Bring the kid. We meet in the Southern Kingdom's garden at sundown.

-Unknown Recorder." I read before looking up to the three.

The green haired male gave a shocked look. "Me?" He questioned with a puzzled expression.

"Looks like it kid." Aulak said, giving a small sigh. "Though, it might be tricky with those wounds you got there..."

"Well they weren't exactly trying to kill him." I noted, remembering his wound.

"Though, it did seem that this was a trap of some sorts. Likely trying to capture us like they did with Krib." Elliot mentioned, his black painted nail scratching at his face.

"Who's Krib?" Xulio asked, looking up to Elliot.

Aulak glanced his way before their face cringed slightly. "Ehm... My soulmate. The one were looking for."

Xulio's eyes widened. "Your... soulmate?" He asked, looking up to Aulak who watched him carefully.

The purple haired person nodded. "He was kidnapped due to my mistakes." They sighed, looking away as their shoulders sulked.

Xulio rubbed his neck, looking to the ground. "Well, let's go to this garden then."

A smile tugged at the corners of my mouth. "Indeed. The sooner we do this, the sooner we can get Krib back."

Elliot nodded, giving my shoulder a rough pat. "But you're carrying the kid."

"Me? Why me?" I asked defensively.

"Easy. You found him, you take care of him. Like a stray." He said with a grin.

"But my arm-?"

"You've delt with worse! I think you can carry some kid on your back." Elliot stated, Aulak rasing a brow.

"I can carry him with my arms, I don't want more blood on me." I groaned, looking at my blood covered hands that smudged on the note I held still.

"But I thought your arm was hurt?" He joked, giving me a sly look.

I rolled my eyes. "Not that much."

"I can walk." Xulio tried to offer.

"No you can't. You can barely sit up." Aulak barked, glaring at the boy.

He looked away sheepishly, his hands noticeably twitching over his stomach.

With a sigh, I knelt down next to Xulio who was flustered from embarrassment as I carefully wrapped my arms around him bridal style.

He flinched, groaning as I picked him up off the ground. His hand clasping around his stomach and the fabric of my shirt, burying his face in my shoulder as he tried to hold back whines.

I felt bad that he was in pain because he tried to help me.

Though it wasn't exactly necessary, he still did buy us time until backup came.

"Where are the gardens anyways?" Aulak asked, looking to the castle.

Elliot hummed. "If I remember correctly, I would be near the eastern quarters."

"I didn't know that you've visited the castle." I muttered, giving him a questioning look.

He paused, just like he did when the coordinates were mentioned. "I only have once for a job." He said, not offering anything else.

Aulak raised a brow, turning to me for the answer. I simply shrugged my shoulders causing Xulio to shift in my arms.

"Sorry. I'll try not to move too much." I noted, looking down at him.

His face was still buried in my shoulder, offering a small hum in response.

Elliot started to the castle, not really looking back to the three of us. We followed after him willingly without further question.

If he isn't hurting me, I have no issue.

The path slowly grew dim as the temperatures dropped lower than before.

I tried to suppress my shivers as to not harm Xulio. Despite his light outfit, he hardly shivered. Only when gusts of wind hit.

Aulak shivered like crazy. They did wear a light outfit and traveled alot, though Elliot didn't shiver a slightest bit.

I guess living in the Southern Kingdom for so long had grown on him.

When we approached the entrance of the crumbled building, the sun was near the end of the sky.

It wouldn't be long now until we met the person in question.

Unknown Recorder they called themself.

"I hope the animals are doing fine." Aulak mentioned, glancing back.

"They'll be fine. Hardly anyone comes out here anymore." Elliot said, turning to the purple haired person for a moment.

"You sure?" They asked, looking back forward.

"Positive." He finished, stopping at the doors that somehow still stood.

They were covered in soot and ash, not to mention dirt and unkempt weeds.

We watched as Elliot struggled to pushed them open, though he did manage.

When we got inside, the wind no longer blew as terribly, though it was still cold. The most of the walls still standing, though bits of the ceiling had caved and fallen to the ground.

"Everyone be cautious, it wasn't very long ago that this happened so things might still be crumbling." Elliot stated, already heading down a hall.

"Dude, what's the rush?" Aulak asked, speeding up.

I huffed, a small smile on my lips as I shook my head. "He isn't exactly patient."

"Hey. I heard that." He said before placing his hand on a door's handle.

"This it?" Aulak asked, stopping next to him.

"Yeah." He muttered, glaring at the door knob.

I finally made my place beside the two, looking over the door.

"Should we maybe have a key word or signal if something bad happens?" I asked, looking down to Xulio who loosened his grip slightly, shifting less as well as grunting.

"I suppose." Elliot sighed, looking to the three of us.

"Well, if I draw my sword, better know that means something bad is about to happen." He said, placing his hand on the hilt of his sword.

I nodded. "And for the code word?"

Aulak placed a finger on their chin. "If 'It sure is nice tonight' is said, it means get the kid outta here. If 'I wonder what time it is' is said, it means get ready to fight. Is that ok?"

"Sure thing. It is discrete." I agreed.

"Okay, ready?" Elliot asked, his eyes barely visible from under his bangs.

We all gave a nod except for Xulio whose grip tightened on my clothes, giving a shiver.

Elliot pulled the door open and stepped out with the rest of us not far behind. Aulak's axe resting on their back in belts as usual.

"Evening."