Chapter 17

[A/N: Violence warning ⚠️]

On the other side of the door was a luscious garden, seemingly untouched. Plants seemed to thrive despite the winter, though, snow was slowly greeting its surface.

Through the weeping willows stood the person in all black and chains. Unknown Recorder.

They had faced away, their black mask in their hands as they looked at the scenery.

Their hood stayed up, blocking our view of their face.

"Excuse us." Aulak said in a low tone, cautiously.

The person jumped slightly, rushing to put their mask back on after rubbing their sleeve across their face.

"You're a bit late." They said in an unused monotone voice, turning to us as their singular red eye searched us.

"Why shouldn't I kill you right here?" Elliot asked, his hand on his rapier.

Their hands went up defensively as they took a step forward. "I'm not here to fight."

I raised a brow. "Then what did you call us here for?"

"This." They said, reaching into a pouch on their hip and pulling out a tape. "This has the next hint."

Aulak's eyes locked onto the tape as their hands trembled.

Elliot extended a hand, the person tossing the tape his way and him catching it.

"This should be the last hint." They said, placing a hand on their hip.

"Does this tape have Krib in it again?" Aulak asked, his eyes locking with their singular eye of red.

They stayed silent, confusion playing onto the recorders expression. "Krib?" They asked in a hushed tone.

Aulak furrowed their brows. "Yeah?"

The person took a step back, a hand brought up to their mask. "What are you doing?" They asked through gritted teeth.

"Nothing? What do you mean?" Aulak asked, taking a step forward.

"Stop! Just stop while you're at it! Leave now!" They yelled abruptly, taking steps back and holding their mask tightly to their face.

I glanced at Elliot who shrugged, turning to the door. Aulak stared at the person as they trembled.

"You coming?" I asked, waiting for them at the door.

They turned back to me with a frustrated expression, many questions seemingly going through their head as they walked through the door before me.

I followed. Glancing back to the person before following the other two out of the castle.

The sun had went down and it was dark, making the path out dificult to make out.

When we did make our way out, we didnt stop at the door. Elliot kept walking.

"Where are we going?" Aulak asked, looking around at the crumbled remains of houses in the town.

"My home... I hope that the recorder I have still works." He said, glancing back to the rest of us.

"Makes sense I suppose." They stated, tucking their hands into their pockets.

"What about power?" I asked quietly.

"I have back up generators... If they weren't destroyed." He informed, turning back to the path.

The green haired male shifted in my arms as he slept, nuzzling his face into my shoulder and trying his best to keep warm.

I didn't mind all too much as I didn't mind the mutual warmth. He reminded me of having a little brother.