11

"You're gonna fry your brain!" Patrick pleaded while he leaded over Rory.

"No I'm not! I just need to finish this problem!" Rory argued with her hands massaging her temples sitting at a table in Padua's library . "If the vertex is y equals seven and x equals nine with a rate of change four then the x intercepts have to be five point and eight point five! No, but that doesn't make sense..."Rory kept staring at her paper as if anything had changed.

"Mary...Er... Rory- it's one problem. Who cares if you don't get it right." Patrick offered her advice.

"Me!" Rory threw her hands up before collapsing her body on the table. Her hair fell over her face that was directly placed on the table top.

Patrick sat in the chair next to her and looked at her with deep concern. He reached his hand out and brushes her hair out of her face to see her bright blue eyes staring at him, searching for comfort in his face.

"You need a break, you can't be so hard on yourself." He looked into her eyes.

"NO!" Rory protested still slumped over.

"C'mon." Patrick picked her up by her arm and started walking away from their table. "You need to let loose."

"Where are we going?" Rory dragged her feet.

He took them to the center of the library where the light from the cathedral like windows let through and the floor had a beautiful mosaic of the sun.

"Stay here." He looked Rory in the eyes be for quickly running of.

Rory rolled her eyes but stayed there. "What are you doing?" She shouted.

"You'll see." Patrick smiled. Sprinting to the CD section to find a CD he had seen in Rory's CD collection. "N,M... mazzy star!" He had found it.

"Ya know Verona, your spontaneity was charming at first but now I think it's a threat to my blood pressure." Rory said.

Patrick rushed over to the library desk and found a CD player. He put the CD in the player and grabbed the intercom phone and placed it next to the CD player. The library was flooded with the sweet sounds of the first of the album: fade into you.

He walked over to Rory in the middle of the library. He extended his arm out to her "Ms. McIlroy, may I have this dance?"

"You are so cheesy." She giggled while she put her hand in his.

He pulled her to him gently and started swaying the two. The sun on the glass of the window had covered the two in beautiful rainbows made by the glass prisms. They were so at peace with eachother.

Rory looked up Patrick. "Are you gonna dance like this with me at prom?" She smiled.

"When I dance with at prom, you're gonna dance like you never danced before." Patrick smiled at her before twirling her.

The twirl had made her knee length skirt fan out and her hair go wild for just a moment until she pulled back into him.

Everything was perfect.

~~~~~~

"Thanks Verona. I really needed that." Rory smiled while Patrick held her hands as they stood in the light of her porch.

"I'm glad could help." He spoke unsure of his words. "So uh... have a nice-"

"Nice night." Rory cut him off.

There was an awkward tension in the air. Patrick looked at her in the porch light. He didn't understand how just in every time, in every way she looked... perfect.

"Can I kiss you?" He asked her.

She did nothing but smile and nod.

He gently leaned in, placing his lips on hers. It was a sweet kiss.

"Goodnight Verona." She smiled before letting go of his hands. She turned around and opened her front door.

When Rory walked into the dark front room of her house she had heard the phone in the kitchen which rarely happens.

She slowly walked over to the other the other end of her house into the even darker kitchen. She walked over to the wall and reached for the phone and placed it to her ear.

"Hey griz!" A man's voice rang through the over end.

"Oh- Um dad! Hi." Rory hadn't heard from her dad in months. "How's it going out in the university land?" She asked.

"It's going good, so close to wrapping up! I can't wait to see you again. How are you doing?" Robert asked.

"Oh um I'm good I have this project coming for English and math has been stressful recently-"

"That's great honey! Have you heard from you're mom or sister?" He asked.

"No calls from mom but I got a letter from Sammy saying that they sold the house, so that's news" she informed her dad.

"That good, listen I gotta go but I'll call again soon-"

"Hey dad?" Rory asked.

"Yeah little griz?" Her dad responded.

"When are you coming home?"

"Oh in about a month or so. Just waiting for classes to be over." She could hear his happy go lucky smile through the phone. "Anyways I got some grading to do. I love you , bye"

"Love you bye." She said before his voice was replaced with beeps signifying that the call had ended. She hung the phone back up and walked upstairs to her room.