Kabanata 36

Kabanata 36

Above the Sea of Fog

Hindi ko namalayan ang paglipas ng mga minuto habang nakayakap ako kay Wyatt. Ang alam ko lang malayo na ako sa taong nagdulot ng sakit sa akin...ngunit narito ako at hawak ng taong minsan ko na rin namang sinaktan.

"I'm sorry," I uttered lowly.

"It's alright," aniya at ramdam ko ang paghaplos ng kaniyang kamay sa aking buhok. Nanatili siyang nakayakap sa akin kahit na tumahan na ako.

I wiped my own tear as I stepped away from him. I could feel his eyes watching me closely but I chose not meet his gaze.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"Abuelo was rushed in the hospital. I just got home from London."

Kumunot ang noo ko. "N-ngayon ka lang umuwi?"

"I went home twice-Christmas and today. I talked to Abuelo when I came home because there is no way that we are blood-related, Rean."

Napalunok ako. Nahihiya ako dahil sa ginawa ni Mama. Maraming tao na ang madamay. I was fooled twice and she made me believe that I couldn't be with a man who made me feel loved and accepted.

"A-anong sabi ng Abuelo mo?"

Tinitigan ako ni Wyatt na para bang hinahanap niya sa aking mukha ang hawig ng kaniyang Lolo. He swallowed hard before looking away.

"Abuelo said that something happened between them and that your mother left. He didn't know that she was pregnant at that time and she came back, bringing you in the mansion," he calmly explained. "But Abuelo did not buy it and ordered for her to take a paternity test. Your mother wouldn't take the test and demanded money from Abuelo. It was then that Abuelo thought that maybe the baby wasn't his, kasi kung kanila mang dalawa iyon, she wouldn't hesitate to take the test. She comes back to the mansion, still demanding Abuelo to father the child and give you child support."

"So he denied my mother because she wouldn't take the test? Kaya niya nasabing hindi kaniya? And what if...the baby was really his?"

"My Abuelo can be a cruel man, Syrean. He made a lot of wrong decisions during his time at hindi mo rin naman maiwawala ang pagdududa sa kaniya."

Bumuntong-hininga ako. Pare-pareho lang naman kaming may mali sa umpisa. The root of all the problems in the past can also be the root of all the problems in the present or the future. Kung hindi naresolba ang problema ng nakaraan, malamang ay makakaapekto iyon sa kasalukuyan. Our past actions can define the future of the next generation. Kaya ang mga desisyon sa nakaraan ay kailangang pag-isipan ng mabuti dahil hindi lang naman ang panahong iyon ang maaapektuhan.

Lies can be buried into the deep sand but the oceans of the shore will surely bring it to the surface. Walang lihim ang mananatiling nakatago lang sa ilalim ng hukay.

"He let her live in the lighthouse and supported you. He's been sending her money to provide for your needs."

Mas lalo lang akong nanlumo sa narinig. "Ni hindi ko naman naramdaman ang suportang iyon, Wyatt. May it be money or the moral support, I didn't feel it."

"I'm sorry. He said he want to do a DNA test for this to be over. To clear everything." Binasa niya ang mga labi bago tuluyang tumingin sa akin. I kept staring at his tired face.

Hindi ko inakalang dalawang beses siyang pumunta rito kaya ibig bang sabihin ay pumunta lamang siya ng London para makita ako at sabihin ito sa akin? He must be tired then, to add up, his abuelo was also here at the hospital.

"When Linda said that something happened to your Mom and you went here, I immediately took the earliest flight. It took me a few days to see you again."