V

5.
LAB RAT

_______

pov. y/n
__

At times, when manpower is lacking, I work as a courier for our city. 

Couriers had the dangerous job of delivering important parcels and letters from one town to the next. Since I had one of the few airborne Pokémon who had the ability to fly for a long time period, I deemed myself fitting for the job.

It also paid well.

My only problem with the whole thing- the reason that prevents me from doing it full time,- is knowing I'd be on the go for most my time. And I can't just leave Touya all alone at home. And giving him into the hands of others doesn't sit right with me either.

Dawn, the bubbly girl from down the street, usually collects and delivers Ecruteaks parcels, together with her Scarmory. She's made herself quite the name for it, always being on time and delivering without causing harm to her parcel.

When she catches a nasty fever like she did now though, it's me who does it in her place.

My day has been filled with travelling between Ecruteak and Blackthorn city,- where, in case you're wondering, Lance's blue haired cousin Clair has reign over the warrior unit. I've also been to Pewter City. My stomach still flips in circles seeing how most of my home Kanto was so mangled and void of life. At least a few cities had managed to stay uphold.

With parcel squeezed under my arm, I enter through the lab doors. I'm tired from this day of running in circles and I believe I should thank Dawn thoroughly after I'm done, for doing this job every damn day.

Yawning, my view is blocked by a sheen of tears for a moment. Then, as I notice who's sitting opposite of the empty seat Sycamore usually sits on, I freeze in my tracks. I blink a couple of times, simply staring at the odd man with the blonde hair and... blue strand circling his head?

He's scribbling things into his pad, unbothered by my presence.

Though, after a solid minute of me staring straight at him, he finally moves to look up at me. His brows furrow and he frowns. Still, I speak first.

"Who are you?"

"Depends on who's asking," he returns with unimpressed voice.

"I'm y/n."

Moments of silence follow. Instead of answering or starting small talk like regular people, I watch in surprise as he returns to his work,- apparently deeming me as unimportant. Special snowflake, huh?

I squint my eyes lightly.

"I've never seen you here?"

"Obviously," follows his quip immediately.

My lips narrow. This man is testing my patience. He has a lean built, is enveloped entirely in scienc-y clothing, such as a lab coat and fancy black dress shoes. I can see calculations run inside the glasses he's wearing, most likely originating from the pad he's staring into.

Still, despite this rather common lab rat appearance, I couldn't get over his... hair. And it's not about the platinum blonde colour, how it somehow matches his irises perfectly. No, it was the single, blue strand of hair curling around his head.

His attitude reminds me of Cyrus. Except that his seems a little more... forced.

"Is there a reason you're standing here?"

I purse my lips. "Right little ray of sunshine, aren't you?"

He bristles as the nickname leaves my lips and for some reason, it makes me laugh.