Jarvit Ch1 p2

As they approached the familiar wide cobbled street Jarvit became aware of an unusual amount of activity, people running and shouting. Seeing smoke he tried to run forward.

         ‘Fire!’ Jarvit yelled.

D’Braggatio did not loose his grip and Jarvit was pulled up short. ‘Oh sir it’s our house, it’s on fire.’ They stopped and watched as buckets of water were manhandled to the blazing building, whose straw roof was beginning to smoulder.

         ‘Sir let me help, a fire within the walls can destroy whole streets. You should have seen what happened last summer when the tailor set his shop on fire by accident! Let me help save the house sir!’

         ‘I believe it is too late to save the house boy, or any of its contents more is the pity. Hep will be at the bottom of this and he is nowhere in sight.’ There was a hard anger in the low tone of D’Braggatio’s voice. Jarvit now looked around the churning, bawling throng to find his master, he was confident he would spot the magistrate somewhere among the water carriers. But even though he stood on tiptoe he could see no sight of him.

         ‘There’s Mrs Rawfish sir, our cook!’ Jarvit pointed to the woman as she stood on the far side of the street. Wringing her knobby hands in her apron she watched the chaotic struggle to put out the fire and the roof being overtaken by crimson flames. Lord D’Braggatio pushed his way through the fire fighters, pulling Jarvit with him, over to the distressed woman, who curtsied when she became aware of their approach.

         ‘Oh your lordship, an honour to see your lordship.  I presume you want the magistrate sir on business. But what a state you find us in I’m sure, I never knowed a day like it. All this don’t do my arthritis no good no more it don’t. First out of the blue the master sends the limb here out on an errand on his own, leaving me to do all that’s needed around the kitchen and then the master goes mad packing everything he can lay his hands on, flying round the house. I’m sure I didn’t know if I was up or down your grace. Next I knowed it was fire! Fire! Shouted all up and down the street. Well I rushes out to see and find it’s us and can I find the master? No he’s nowheres to be seen. So I’m sure I don’t know sir maybe he’s out and I fear maybe he’s trapped-’

         ‘Or more probably he’s halfway to the border. Enough woman, you have prattled enough. So he thinks to end it with flames of his own does he, we shall see. May the Contemptible acquiesce that this infested irritating warren be razed to the ground this day. You come with me boy it would seem your master has run away like a baseborn coward and has disowned you and everything.’ Mrs Rawfish was taken aback by this rude reception of the most interesting news she had ever had to tell. But Jarvit was too stunned by what he had just heard to notice.

         Escape from this lord. He kills people with just a click of his fingers. He could kill you.

         Jarvit tried to wriggle and worm himself free from D’Braggatio’s grasp.

         ‘Don’t even try it newt.’ The long fingers dug into Jarvit’s arm. ‘You belong to me now, or should I treat you like others I have dealt with today? That’s better, come.’ Jarvit gave up all thoughts of resistance at the threat and allowed himself to be dragged away from the noise and confusion of the spreading fire, back to Tribute Plaza.

         They crossed the square to the notary’s where Edwerd had turned the place into a scene of chaos. Broken furniture was strewn around and a huge chest had been smashed open.

         ‘Your Grace, I have searched both offices and secured any documents. There were also some sums of money in this chest which I have acquired for your Grace’s pleasure.’