Jarvit Ch10 p3

‘But we will try right? I mean if we don’t then what would happen?’ Jarvit looked around at them all as they stood in silence looking at Professor Klimpt who had bowed his head.

         ‘If we don’t,’ put in Bender after a pause. ‘Then the world will be constantly cold or wet. Snow would never leave the north and would even get as far south as here. Here would always be wet. Crops would fail, people and animals would starve. Hope would-’

         ‘I get the picture, it would be bad, right?’ Jarvit said and Bender nodded.

         ‘Bad, pah! That is an understatement. If nothing more is done to stop the rise of the Contemptible much will have been sacrificed in vain,’ Holen banged a paw down on the floor with a heavy thud. 'We must try and if we fail at least we will not be here to witness the consequences.’

         ‘Oh we will, no, must try,’ Professor Klimpt raised his head; there was determination in his voice. ‘Together we make a strong force to battle against the Contemptible. Separately we are weak. Our first task must be to restore the Hearer that would make us even stronger. With D’Braggatio’s servant on his way back to Simmon I would guess that D’Braggatio could be here in a few days, nine or ten at the earliest. We must be ready for him.’

         ‘Stew, can the Worthy help change you back?’ asked Bender.

         ‘I’ll ask,’ said Jarvit and everyone stood silent as he thought. ‘Can you, or can you tell us how to change me into a girl please Worthy?’

         No, that is not the way. Visit my Hall, have me brought in.

         Jarvit thought that the voice in his head felt weak and far away. He told the others what the Worthy had said. The Professor slapped his brow.

         ‘Why didn’t I think of that. Of course. Up you get Jarvit, there’s work to do.’

         ‘He needs rest, that wound will not heal if he is gallivanting around the town-’ Mrs Anders began crossly.

         ‘My dear, if we do not start now there may not be a town to gallivant round at all,’ Bender said.

         ‘I understand that, but he is not strong enough yet. The wound has not yet healed and moving now would only make it worse. The boy should stay where-’

         ‘Shut up Petunia, for once in your life just shut up! Jarvit get up.’ Everyone was stunned by Bender’s angry words. Jarvit got out of bed at once and Mrs Anders burst into tears.

         ‘Well really Gregson. There was no need to speak to me like that. After all I’ve done, (sniff), for you over the years. When we married you used to treat me like a queen. Now, (sniff sniff), I am treated like a fish wife. I struggle to keep body and soul together, put food on the table and this is how I am rewarded.’

         ‘There, there my dear, I’m sorry,’ Bender consoled his wife and led her from the room. ‘You still are my queen, the princess I fell in love with and….’ His voice faded away as the two went downstairs.

         They made a strange procession as they walked through the fishing town towards the Hall of Listening built on a small hill that overlooked the harbour. The Professor strode along in front, with Bender trotting to keep up with him. They were followed by the shuffling, mumbling figure of the once proud Magistrate Hep, who kept wringing his hands and looking around as if he expected D’Braggatio to leap out at him at any moment. Then came a weaving, tired, Jarvit who was resting an arm on the proud powerful velvet black cat with amber eyes that strode along close beside him. Behind them came Mrs Anders, dressed for worship, as she saw it, with her best hat on and her apron off. She was followed by Slats and Stretcher, who left a respectful distance between themselves and Mrs Anders. She thought it as deference to her position as a property owner and held her head up in consequence. Slats and Stretcher saw it as making sure they were safe from receiving a tongue lashing from an expert.

         People noticed the procession and stopped to look. Women who knew Mrs Anders saw that she was on her way to the Hall of Listening. Not to be outdone they too put on their hats and pulled their husbands along to join the cavalcade. Soon a large crowd was winding its way through the mud up the hill to the Hall.

         Professor Klimpt was halted on the top step by the Executioner of the Hall of Listening, flanked by two Devotees.

         ‘What would you here?’ she demanded. ‘What is the meaning of this spectacle? Those who attend the daily rituals know that this is not one of the appointed times.’ She waved a hand at the people who had come to a stop behind Professor Klimpt.

         ‘We wish to enter the Hall and hear the word of the Worthy,’ Professor Klimpt said.

         ‘It is not the time for a ceremony now, return at dusk. We would be pleased to welcome you to our Hall then. Especially you Klimpt, whom has never sought to cross this threshold before today.’ There was smugness in her voice. The three women stood firm in front of the closed doors of the Hall. Professor Klimpt looked round at the others, fighting their way into the Hall had not been part of the plan.

         Tell Juliana to let you all enter in the name of the Worthy and Tiatra.

         Jarvit, with Holen close beside him, mounted the steps and stood in front of the Executioner. She looked down at him with a small sneer in the corners of her eyes.

         ‘Well? What have you to say?’

         ‘In the name of the Worthy and of Tiatra you must let us enter, Juliana,’ Jarvit said in as strong a voice as he could. His wound was troubling him as Mrs Anders had predicted. The Executioner took a step back.

         ‘What was that?’

         ‘He asked you to let us in, in the name of the Worthy,’ the Professor stepped forward beside Jarvit. He put a hand on Jarvit’s shoulder. ‘Well said boy, what is asked in the Worthy’s name can not be refused.’ The Executioner, who had been staring at Jarvit, waved a hand in dismissal of the two Devotees and then tearing her eyes from Jarvit’s face, she threw open the tall double doors and led them all into the Hall.