Jarvit Ch5 p2

Once the sparsely attended ceremony was over Tiatra and Ariena closed themselves away. Sitting either side of the well polished desk they picked at the fruit and berries that had been set out for them. Tiatra noticed that Ariena looked tired and drawn. After a few moments of quiet eating Ariena gave a heavy sigh and gave Tiatra a sad smile.

         ‘Old friend and teacher I fear what lies ahead and yet I will stand to meet it.’

         ‘What is it that you see best girl?’

         ‘Death, oh death and more death. A bitter struggle and the overthrow of the Will of the Worthy. Our Hall swept away forever.’

         ‘Whatever happens that cannot, there is a Hearer.’

         ‘But who shall she speak to? Who will there be to listen?’ She hung her head and both were silent for a moment. Then looking up she smiled. ‘My apologies my friend. I forget myself. I am giving way to despair when I should not. I called this meeting that we could form a plan to prevent the Contemptible achieving his aims. Nettle tea?’ Ariena sat forward and poured some into Tiatra’s bowl.

         ‘It is clear D’Braggatio knows or guesses that Ciara is not a true Hearer. He will be plotting now how to expose or destroy her. And with her he will destroy us and our faith. We must not let that happen.’

         ‘You have taken steps to fortress the Great House. We would be safe inside.’

         ‘How long for do you think? If we are besieged what would we eat? What would our followers think if we did not open our Hall to them? Why would they believe in us or the Worthy if we hide away? And yet it is my intention to do something of the kind. We cannot fight, we are too few. No one, or not many, among the followers would help us. It would be as before, except this time there are fewer of us and no Hearer,’ she paused and looked up at the rafters for a moment. Then she drew a deep breath and looked back at Tiatra. ‘I have thought on this a great deal since our return here. I saw these ideas to be of use in an emergency. This I feel is upon us and I would share my deliberations with you to benefit from your wisdom.’

         Tiatra nodded at Ariena’s words. She herself had not given any consideration to the threat her chosen following was facing. She chided herself that she had believed having Ciara in place would have been sufficient. She saw the greater foresight of her one time pupil.

         ‘I decided to reinforce the gates in the perimeter wall of our compound. As I told you earlier I requested large logs. This delivery would not arouse too much suspicion as the cold season is upon us. These can help only against any small assaults. I feared a kidnap attempt on Ciara. But an open attack by a large body would easily breach any defences we can put in place and scale that wall. We are too few to put up much resistance and we could not protect Ciara from harm. It was when I first saw Silvinatra that a new idea formed in my mind. I would value your opinion on this.’ Tiatra listened to Ariena’s plan. They argued and discussed it for the entire morning until the mid day ceremony was due to begin. Tiatra could think of nothing else for the rest of the day. She prayed for another way to be shown to her but the Worthy choose not to help her.

Tiatra reviewed the stores with the Keeper of the House and together they estimated what would be required to withstand a long siege. The orders were sent out. Soon the Devotees were busy stacking large sacks of grain, flour, salt meats and dried fruits delivered by the over burdened cart load. Tiatra noticed some of D’Braggatio’s men standing around outside the Great House watching.

After two days of deliveries D’Braggatio himself rode past. He reined in and gave the sneer that Tiatra loathed as she held open the gate to the yard.