Chapter 6: The Train

"We've already told him we haven't seen it," said Ron, but Hermione wasn't listening, she was looking at the wand in his hand.

"Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it, then." She sat down. Ron looked taken aback.

"Er — all right." He cleared his throat.
"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow."

He waved his wand, nearly taking out my eye in the process but nothing happened. Scabbers stayed grey and fast asleep.

I couldn't help myself and burst into laughter at this point.

"Are you sure that's a real spell?" said Hermione "Well, it's not very good, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's all worked for me.

"Nobody in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it's the very best school of witchcraft there is, I've heard — I've learned all our course books by heart, of course, I just hope it will be enough — I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?" She had said all of this very fast, and I was doing my best to keep up.

Harry looked at us, looking a bit horrified. I assumed this was because neither of them had learned all the books by heart.

"I'm Ron Weasley," Ron muttered.

"Oh is this your brother then (Y/n)?" Hermione asked. I was taken aback that she remembered my name.

"He is yeah." I told her, she looked slightly shocked by this. I assumed this was because Ron, like the rest of my family, had brilliantly red hair and freckles, while I had dark hair and not a single freckle to be found.

"And you are?" She asked turning in Harry.

"Harry Potter," said Harry.

"Are you really?" said Hermione.

"No he's actually Albus Dumbledore." I said, grinning at my stupid joke. Hermione just rolled her eyes.

"I know all about you, of course" she continued to Harry. "— I got a few extra books, for background reading, and you're in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century."

"Am I?" said Harry, feeling dazed.

"Goodness, didn't you know, I'd have found out everything I could if it was me," said Hermione.

"Bit creepy, kinda stalker-ish if you ask me." I muttered to Ron, who did his best to stifle his laughter.

"Do any of you know what house you'll be in? I've been asking around, and I hope I'm in Gryffindor, it sounds by far the best; I hear Dumbledore himself was in it, but I suppose Ravenclaw wouldn't be too bad...

"Anyway, we'd better go and look for Neville's toad. You three had better change, you know, I expect we'll be there soon."

And she left, taking the toadless boy with her.
"Whatever house I'm in, I hope she's not in it," said Ron. He threw his wand back into his trunk. "Stupid spell — George gave it to me, bet he knew it was a dud."

"Yeah he did." I told Ron, stilling grinning.

"And you didn't tell me?"

"Well where'd the fun be in that?" I countered.

"Sometimes I swear you're worse than Fred and George." Ron told me shaking his head.

"Why thank you."

"What house are your brothers in anyway?"asked Harry, drawing our attention.

"Gryffindor," said Ron. Gloom seemed to be settling on him again. "Mum and Dad were in it, too. I don't know what they'll say if I'm not. I don't suppose Ravenclaw would be too bad, but imagine if they put me in Slytherin."