Two

The coffee cup in front of Geonhak is slowly getting empty as he listens to Youngjo ramble about he and his girlfriend's plans for a fancy weekend in a hotel near Seoul. He would never qualify his colleague and friend as outgoing or talkative but, compared to himself, Youngjo is an extrovert; everything is relative indeed.

The two men have left work early — that is, right on time — and stopped at a café before going home. Both initiatives have been requested by Geonhak, which has quite surprised the eldest. Youngjo has categorised his colleague very soon as hard-working and rigorous. He usually has no time for friendly meetings and what little time he has is devoted to the apple of his eyes — his son, Sunyul.

Yet, very recently, Geonhak seems to have eased off on the pressure he puts on himself. Youngjo thinks it has to be linked to Geonhak's little mistake a few days before with his son's school. He has seen him truly doubting himself as a father and an employee on top of that. Youngjo is glad his colleague wishes to take a new start.

Youngjo notices that Geonhak quickly glances at his watch from time to time and he smiles fondly. "He's not going to evaporate, you know," he teases the younger man. "You'll be on time."

Geonhak nods quietly, readjusting his glasses on his nose. "Anyways," Youngjo resumes enthusiastically, "anything planned this weekend? No hotel, I guess?"

Geonhak chuckles imperceptibly. "Not on my own, no." He finishes his coffee in a sip and says, "I'll make the most of my last night with Sunnie. Probably play dragons or dress his dolls — that's his thing at the moment. I'll drop him off at his father's tomorrow and then I'll get some work done." He makes a pause and adds that his co-manager has asked for extra details on the project outline he has just sent.

"Don't you just want to rest or have fun sometimes?"

Geonhak shrugs. "I don't know how to."

"I would've suggested  you came with me at the hotel but I'm not sure I want to share a bed with you."

"Because I'm gay?"

"Because you snore."

"Fair enough." Geonhak smirks. "Sorry to inform you you're not my type." Youngjo presses a hand against his chest, pretending to be offended. His colleague checks the time for the hundredth time and finally announces he has to go.

The dyed blonde walks up to the counter and pays for their drinks before picking up his coat and shoulder bag. He wishes Youngjo a nice weekend and strides towards his parked car, already soothed by his being perfectly on time. Since that day when he forgot Sunyul at school and got humiliated by his ex-husband as a bonus, he has been increasingly observant of his timing and schedule.

Once at primary school, he waits with the other parents for his son's class to go out. Most are chatting, knowing one another since their children's kindergarten years. Geonhak and Dongju have never really bothered getting acquainted with other parents; Geonhak does not care and Dongju is too extravagant for most of them.

The only thing that pains Geonhak is that, as a consequence, Sunyul rarely gets invited to birthday parties. Geonhak cannot help but think it has to do with his having two fathers — among which, a crazy one.

He has never really resented Dongju's craziness — it was actually what attracted him in the first place, quite surprisingly. They have lived in an unpredictible, sparkling union for about ten years and it is all thanks to Dongju. As he has constantly been reminded after their separation, Geonhak is not the one who held their couple together.

As he wanders through painful, all too recent memories, Geonhak begins to think that his mind is playing tricks on him or that Dongju has heard his thoughts; for here he is, once again, almost conjured up from out of Geonhak's very brain.