Nine

Youngjo silently watches his colleague, who is passing his right hand repeatedly through his blond hair, while checking his phone every minute or so. Geonhak looks stressed and indecisive. He barely pays attention to his friend next to him as they are having a coffee break.

Youngjo takes a sip of his drink and finally says, "Call him." Geonhak jerks his head up to look at him, one of his eyebrows raised. His colleague smirks, "I know you want to."

"What if he hangs up?" Geonhak does not apparently question Youngjo reading his mind like an open book. "What if he says no?"

"It's not like you're not used to it by now. You've got nothing to lose. He already hates you anyway."

"Right," Geonhak mumbles.

The blonde takes a quick breath before unlocking his phone and looking for Dongju's number — he would never admit he still knows it by heart. His former partner has been taking care of their child for the past week, as it was his time to have Sunyul. But Dongju has asked to keep the boy for a few extra days — he said he has more time now his big project is secured and done, and he wants to catch up time with his son.

However, if Geonhak wants to be honest, he is starting to miss the little monster. Half his life revolves around him and when he gets back home with no one to look after or nothing to look forward to in the weekend, he starts to feel a slight pang in his heart.

He is thankful that Youngjo always knows exactly what he feels or needs. He is not sure he would have the guts to call Dongju otherwise.

As he expects, a bitter voice answers him after the fourth ring, "What? Is your house burning? You're not welcome at my place."

"I wouldn't go to you if my house was on fire. But I'm doing great, thanks for asking."

"Cut the crap, Kim Geonhak. What do you want?" If the blonde understands Dongju's tone well — as he always has — it seems to him that the man on the phone is a bit intrigued. Geonhak never calls.

"I was wondering... I know you're keeping Sunnie for a few more days but I thought I could pick him up from school today? We'd just spend the afternoon together and I'd bring him back to your place afterwards." Dongju remains silent. "I just want to be with him for a bit. What do you think?"

"Well," Dongju begins slowly. He does not sound too reluctant, not really. Rather surprised, which is rare for him. "I guess you can. I had nothing special planned for today anyway."

"Great!" Geonhak exclaims, relieved. "What time do you want him home?"

"We eat at eight."

"Any objection to my buying him ice cream?"

"Before dinner?"

"It's just for this one time...," Geonhak tries to negotiate in a soft voice, much more high-pitched than his usual low tone.

"Alright," Dongju yields almost with a laugh. "He better eat his dinner when he gets home."

Before Geonhak can thank him, his former lover hangs up. The blonde is looking at his phone with a dumb, victorious smile. Youngjo is also smiling next to him, having delighted in their bickering.

"Mission completed?" Youngjo asks in a mischevious tone.

Geonhak nods silently, and finishes his coffee in one go before suggesting they go back to work in their respective sectors. The blonde thanks the other man for his help and they part in front of their common break room.