Thirteen

Geonhak does the last button of his white shirt in front of the mirror before taking a quick breath. He has had a week to think about what Youngjo and Seonah said, a week to think about Seoho — and honestly he did not have to try hard to think about him, given how frequently the young man pops up in his mind.

He begins to wrap his black tie around his collar, and sighs. He has just got Sunyul back from Dongju and Keonhee the night before, and it is the first time he goes to school in a week, the first time he sees Seoho again after the dinner party he threw.

He is not sure he can truly do this. He promised Youngjo he would try to do it. He promised himself he would do it. But right now, as he is dressing up with the most beautiful clothes he owns — incidentally, the ones he wore for he and Dongju's informal wedding party — he is not convinced he can gather enough strength to act.

"Sunnie, we're leaving in five minutes!" he calls, checking his hairstyle in the mirror. He really made an effort and combed in hair for once. He is even wearing earrings, which he had stopped doing after Dongju left him.

He leaves for the hallway, picking up his shoulder bag for work along with his house and car keys on his way. Sunyul is walking sleepily in his direction and then sits on the floor to put his trainers on.

He frowns when he looks up at his father. "Appa?" he asks in puzzlement. "Are we going to grandad's after school? You only dress like that for him."

"What do you mean, baby?" Geonhak mutters, embarrassed. "I'm dressed as usual."

The boy shrugs, getting up to put on his coat, and says, "You're the most handsome."

Geonhak ruffles his hair and they get to the car. During the ride, the blonde can feel his hand sweating and his collar squeezing his throat and he tries to breathe in and out slowly. He tells himself he can do this.

His eyes fix the road intently and he tries to dismiss the haunting thoughts that tell him that he has not done this for at least ten years, that he is really bad with feelings and sociability.

When he parks near the school, Geonhak stays in the car for a few seconds, hands on the wheel, eyes closed, which has Sunyul disturbed. "Ain't we going, appa?"

His father reassures him and opens the car door afterwards, helping the boy out. They walk hand in hand to the gates. Hwanwoong is in front of the classroom, welcoming the children one by one with a high five and bowing slightly before their parents.

The small adult spots Sunyul and waves at him, before looking up at his father. The teacher seems astonished for a second, and finally breathes again, smiling shyly at Geonhak. Suddenly, the blonde feels observed from top to bottom and is not sure anymore whether it was a good idea to dress up like that.

He kisses his son goodbye and leaves after nodding to Hwanwoong, who still looks mesmerised by the taller one. When he turns around, he bumps into another adult and quickly apologises before trying to leave.

"Are you avoiding me now?" a high-pitched voice says ironically.

Geonhak looks back and his heart misses a beat. "Seoho-hyung, I'm so sorry, I didn't— I was—"

"Hey, hey," his friend interrupts gently, "I was just messing with you." He stops for a second, detailing Geonhak's exceptionally groomed face and outfit and smiles with surprise. "Looking nice today. Do you have a big presentation on trees at work?"

Geonhak feels stress overwhelming him and blocking his throat. He knows it is his moment, he knows he should be asking Seoho out this very second but he finds the first opportunity to slip away. "Yeah, right. Speaking of which, hum, I have to— go."