Eight

Geonhak is scrolling through a building permit, checking some measurements and practicalities, when he hears a sharp cry from the living-room. He immediately rises and runs in the direction of the sound.

He stops near the sofa, on which Sunyul is sitting cross-legged. His face seems to express pain, and he is still whining. "Baby, is everything alright?" Geonhak enquires.

When the boy realises his father is in the room, he points in front of him and moans, "They're my toys! She's taking all my toys!"

Geonhak follows his little finger and sees Minbyeol on the carpet, some plastic dinosaurs in her hands. The blonde sighs and gets near his son, petting his hair. "Hey, that's okay. She can play with your toys, too."

"No!" he shrieks, clearly distressed. "Not the dinosaurs!"

Geonhak walks around the sofa to sit next to him. He takes his son's face between his hands. "Look at me, Sunnie." His boy lifts up his gaze. "It's not nice to keep everything to oneself. You have to share."

"I don't want to. Those were presents from daddy."

"So what?"

"They were for me. I don't want her to have them."

Sometimes, Geonhak can see Dongju so much in Sunyul that it scares him. Though they do not share one drop of blood, they are just the same. "I get it, you like those toys. But Byeol-ah likes them too. We want to be nice with her, don't we?"

"I guess."

He drops Sunyul's face and turns to look at the girl, who seems undisturbed. "All good here?" he asks. Minbyeol shrugs; she never really pays attention to Sunyul's repeated tantrums.

Geonhak finally says enthusiastically, "I think we'll have to take things to the next level. Who wants to bake a rainbow cake?" The two children shot their heads up and begin screeching happily, jumping up and down around him. "Wow, wow," he smiles fondly, "I'm not baking with anyone who's upset. I want to see big smiles and hear apologies."

Sunyul stays quiet for a minute and eventually turns to his classmate. "Sorry, Byeol-ah. You can have my blue brachiosaurus next time."

Geonhak glances at him expectantly. "What about the others?"

"Please, appa, not the red T-Rex..."

"Even the red T-Rex. Come on."

Sunyul sighs and mumbles, "You can have any of my toys next time."

Minbyeol seems content and accepts his apology. Geonhak ruffles his boy's hair and picks him up in his arms. He guides the two children towards the kitchen and starts to get ingredients out of the cupboards, constantly checking his phone for recipes.

He had no idea play dates would be so difficult. He just imagined the kids would play quietly while he worked on some project, hopefully making significant progress. But they require his constant mediation; especially because Sunyul seems to be reluctant to accept anything and anyone new in his life.

He thinks that is because Dongju and he never really accustomed him to having a wide circle of acquaintances. Sunyul has scarce seen Geonhak's father, and there was no question of him meeting Dongju's parents — Dongju himself barely talks to them now anyway.

Apart from Dongju's twin brother, and Youngjo, the boy has been little exposed to adults and children. Especially children, in fact.

Geonhak watches as Minbyeol stirs the mixed ingredients in a large bowl. Next to her, Sunyul is carefully choosing the right hues for the food colouring — Geonhak has bought all colours, because he knows Sunyul would throw a scandal if the precise colour he wants misses.