Eleven

"Come on, baby, hurry up and pick up your lunchbox!" Geonhak speaks up. Sunyul is still rummaging through his room and his father fears to be late.

"But I can't find my new dragon, the one daddy bought for me this weekend!"

"Have you looked in your travelling backpack?" Geonhak finishes to pack his own bag, checking he has his phone and keys. "And in your bed?"

"It's nowhere!" He whines on, "I promised Byeol-ah I'd show it to her."

"You can always invite her for a play date later and show her then," the adult kindly suggests. "We're running late."

The boy comes back to the kitchen and nods sadly, taking his bag with him. The two leave the apartment hand in hand and speed to Sunyul's school. Most of the class is already in the courtyard, every student wearing a cap and a big backpack.

Hwanwoong spots Geonhak and waves with a big smile. He has a cute sunhat on his head, and hiking clothes, which are very different from his usually brightly coloured stylish outfits, as Geonhak notes.

"You made it, Geonhak-ssi!" the young teacher greets enthusiastically. He shuffles Sunyul's black hair before turning back to his father. "Thanks again for accompanying us on this trip. The kids will be delighted to have you!"

"That's no problem. I got today off at work anyway." He vaguely glances at the group of fidgeting pupils and frowns. "That makes a lot of children. Is it just us two?"

"No! Another parent agreed to come with us and help take care of the class. Oh, there he finally is!"

Hwanwoong is pointing at someone behind Geonhak, who slowly turns around. His son reacts before he can say anything, "Byeol-ah!" Sunyul waves at his little friend who is running alongside her father up to them, visibly late.

"Hi, Sunnie! Where's your dragon? I've been telling dad you had a new one."

As Sunyul is looking down and is about to explain he has lost it for now, Geonhak meets Seoho's gaze and blushes. "Hi, Seoho-ssi. Are you... Are you joining us on the field trip?"

"Yeah! I took a day off. I figured I needed it. And I get to spend more time with my Minbyeol, too!" The blonde remains silent for a moment and checks Seoho's face. He looks tired and pale, but still has a warm smile.

"Hello, Seoho-ssi! Now, I think we're all here," Hwanwoong interrupts. "I'll count the kids once and off to the bus we go!"

Geonhak and Seoho help the teacher direct the children towards the schoolbus and eventually get in. Geonhak sits at the front and, as Seoho is about to take place next to him, Hwanwoong comes back from the end of the bus and drops next to the blonde. "Do you mind?" the pink-haired adult asks happily. "I need to be on the driver's right, just in case."

Geonhak glances at Seoho sadly but nods. Hwanwoong spends the thirty-minute ride chatting with both adults, sometimes checking the children are fine or tending to one of them if they feel car-sick.

"By the way, I wanted to tell you guys. I noticed a gradual complicity. That's a good thing." Geonhak and Seoho look at each other in confusion. Hwanwoong clarifies with a grin, "I mean, between your children. They grew quite close."

Geonhak softly breathes out, realising now that he had been holding his breath. "Yeah, Sunyul and Minbyeol see each other regularly outside school. That must've helped Sunnie."

"And Byeol-ah, too," Seoho confirms. "She's a very open girl, but she never really had any true friend. She feels she can talk to Sunnie. She told me she was in love with him. Well," he says with a wink, "you know how they are at that age."