Chapter 1 - The Fall Festival

Adeno was a busy city in the fall. The farmlands surrounding the city, from the ocean coast to the Adymuss River, had been prospering all summer. Fall meant harvesting, which meant an enormous influx of goods coming into the city. Lord Adeno also maintained a very healthy relationship with the Navirian farmers just across the Sweni River. The river barges were busy ferrying goods back and forth. Near the city, the wide Ochran Bridge became a temporary marketplace, as both Ziannan farmers and Navirians set up stalls to sell their goods.

Out in the farmlands, country lords and ladies in their villas collected food and other goods from their own lands. Some was sent to Adeno, some was kept, and some was strategically passed back out amongst the farmers who worked the land. Once everything was collected and taxed, stored or sold, it was time to send goods to Zianna City.

Adeno was the only large city in the kingdom from which one could, in theory, travel to Zianna City by only travelling on land. However, nobody ever did. Heading West, Adeno's lovely profitable farmlands gave way to a dry, rocky desert. It was much easier and safer to cart goods up to the Adymuss River and send them along to Zianna City by boat. Generations earlier, the family that owned the prime land by the river had swallowed up the small fishing village of Riode and turned it into a port town, ideal for the trading routes. The Bervols' wealth had continued to increase since then.

But it wasn't only harvesting and trading that made Adeno busy every fall. For young nobles, harvesting and trading wasn't something they even bothered to pay attention to. The actual work, and the reason for Adeno's seasonal prosperity, was overshadowed by the festivals and parties. And the biggest party—the best party—was the one that happened yearly at the Bervol Estate.

Every lord or lady, from Adeno or the surrounding lands, made the trip for the Bervol party. Some, if their family had fallen out of favour, found themselves turned away at the gates.

But Lady Clarille never had to worry about that, because the Bervol's daughter was her best friend.

Clarille's family lived on a villa about halfway between Adeno proper and the Bervol's lands. The main road ran through their farmlands, making travel in both directions very easy. While her father often travelled into Adeno, Clarille had spent much of her childhood visiting the Bervol Estate. She and Lady Brylow had grown up side by side, playing together, sitting through lessons with their tutors together, exploring the estate's famous gardens, and more recently—

"Clarille! You absolutely must wear this to the party tonight." Brylow pointed at one of her many dresses, all laid out carefully across her bed. The one in question was deep burgundy with gold embroidery around the neckline. A wide belt, again decorated in gold, was loosely wrapped around the waist.

Clarille touched one of the large sleeves. "It's beautiful, but isn't it quite simple?" The rest of Brylow's selection featured laces, beading or puffy sleeves.

Brylow rolled her eyes. "That's the point. This dress is simple and elegant. With the right hair and jewellery, you will be absolutely stunning! And, even more importantly, you'll stand out. Everyone will be wearing things like that." She waved carelessly at the rest of her dresses. "And trust me, if you want to get my brother's attention, you need to stand out."

Clarille felt herself blush. "Who says I want Berver's attention?"

"Everyone wants Berver's attention. Honestly." Brylow's earrings jingled as she shook her head. "Let me just say, when the most eligible young lord in all the land happens to be your brother, it makes looking for suitors very difficult."

Clarille laughed. "Doesn't that just mean every other young lord more available?"

"It actually means that I can't win the most eligible young lord in all the land," Brylow said. "And I will not have Lady Aleen win. Which means you need to dance with Berver tonight. I wouldn't mind losing to you."