Chapter 19 - Blessings

An early morning, just about two months after the Changing of the Year to 375, cries echoed through the house. Not quite loud enough for the people of Lakeside to hear and come running, but to Clarille, as she cradled her daughter against her chest, they seemed as loud as Eogan's.

Hessa and Brylow, along with Lakeside's only physician, helped clean Clarille up before finally letting Keridel into the bedroom. He rushed to her side, emanating nervous joy. "She's a girl," Clarille said. A beautiful, perfect little girl. She was still making noise, but luckily she had quieted down a bit, and seemed quiet comfortable in Clarille's arms.

Very cautiously, Keridel stroked their daughter's head. Clarille was grateful that he didn't try to pick up the baby—she wasn't quite ready to let go. In fact, she found it hard to imagine ever being ready to let go.

"She's beautiful," Keridel said softly. "And so are you." He planted a kiss on Clarille's cheek. "What is her name?"

The topic had come up, from time to time, but somehow they had never settled on a name. There were many different factors to consider. Despite how tired she was, Clarille tried to focus. "Teltish naming traditions would give her a version of my name, but starting with the first letter of your name."

Keridel, still stroking their daughter's head, nodded. "Yes, I know of that tradition. Zians have no specific naming traditions, so I'm more than happy to follow yours."

Clarille smiled at their baby. "Then... I was thinking maybe Klairia."

"Klairia," Keridel whispered. There were delighted tears in his eyes. "Yes, that's lovely. Our beautiful little Klairia." He gentle leaned across Clarille to kiss the baby's forehead. "Welcome to the family, love."

***

Clarille didn't leave their bedroom much over the next week. She rested and cared for Klairia. Keridel was usually with her, and whenever he wasn't, Brylow joined her. The other women bustled in and out, bringing food, and checking on Clarille and the baby. The men gave the bedroom a wide berth. Clarille wouldn't have minded them visiting, but Keridel explained that traditionally Zian men didn't bother new mothers, which explained Kahl and Dion staying away. And Jeksen, although he was starting to relax a bit, likely still felt like it was inappropriate for him to enter a lady's chamber.

The following week, while Keridel was on a quick trip into Lakeside, Clarille bundled up Klairia and brought her outside. They walked through the grapevines, and Clarille explained everything to her daughter, even though she knew very well Klairia couldn't understand a word of it. The walk was refreshing, but tiring, and before long Clarille had settled into one of the chairs overlooking the vineyard.

When she heard footsteps, she expected Keridel or one of the women. So she was quite surprised when it was Dion, looking somewhat sheepish, with his hands behind his back.

"Oh, Dion." Clarille shifted the way she was holding Klairia. "Please, take a seat."

After a slight hesitation, Dion pulled one of the other chairs closer and sat down. "She's beautiful, miss."

Clarille smiled. "Isn't she perfect? Klairia, this is Dion. He's been taking care of the horses. I can't wait to take her riding," she added, looking up at Dion. "Obviously not for a while, but I'm looking forward to it. I've always loved horses."

"That's good to hear, miss," Dion said. "Because... Well, me and Kahl made something for her. We've never worked for a Teltish lady before, so I hope it's alright that we made a gift. It seemed like the right thing to do."

"Of course!" Clarille said hurriedly. "Please don't feel the need to be so formal."

Dion rubbed his beard. "Hard to break that kind of habit, miss. But..." He trailed off and brought his other hand out from behind his back. Sitting on his palm was a toy horse, carefully carved from dark wood, with a mane and tail made from twine. "I know she can't play with it yet, but we—"