Chapter 24 - Crelans

The sun peeking through the curtains was much too bright for morning. Clarille blinked and stared at it, slowly realizing that it was probably closer to noon. Klairia was starting to wiggle, Hessa was still asleep, and Clarille could hear Jorji snoring quietly. It was clear how desperately they had all needed the rest.

Clarille pulled up the blankets, letting her eyes drift closed.

Then, loud, firm knocking had her shoot upright. Hessa sat up just as quickly, her eyes wide. Jorji tossed aside his blankets and stood, a small knife in his hand. Klairia began to babble to herself.

The thundering knock came again, from downstairs. Hessa leaned over the bed to rummage through one of their bags, and when she sat back up she had Klairia's wooden horse in her hand. It immediately worked to distract the little girl, who stretched to take it and started sucking on one of its ears. Clarille slipped out of bed and tiptoed to their bedroom door. Pressing her ear against it, she could just hear voices.

"—saw someone from this disgusting dump selling off a very fine horse."

"And what if they did?" That was Rose. "Not illegal to sell a horse."

"Where is she?"

"I'm no animal expert, but I'm pretty sure it was a male horse."

A thud, like a fist hitting a wooden door. "No. The lady who had the horse."

"Oh. I don't know."

"I'm not going to let a dirty whore stand between me and my wife."

"Your wife? She didn't say anything about a husband. Just saw me down in the port last night, handed me the horse and boarded a ship. Probably gone already, with how quickly those traders move. I think it was a Na—"

More thuds, and a muffled yelp. Clarille flashed a quick glance over her shoulder. She saw Hessa shake her head, and Jorji squeeze his fingers around the hilt of his tiny knife. Ignoring them both, she carefully opened the door and stepped through. In the hallway, she crouched and tried to flatten herself against the wall, while peeking over the edge of the banister to see what was happening below.

Berver had Rose pinned against the wall, one hand tight around her throat. Blood trickled from her nose. Her hands gripped his uselessly and she tried to kick at his legs.

"If you're lying to me," Berver snarled, leaning in close. "I'll kill you."

Rose spat at him.

With a growl, Berver threw her to the floor and kicked at her. Clarille clenched her fists and stood up, but before a single word could come from her mouth there was a crash from downstairs. Four women stormed out of a room, shouting.

Berver had just enough time to take a puzzled step backwards before they were on him. One lashed out with her hands, scratching his face. Another swung at his side with a broom handle, connecting over and over again with satisfying thuds. The third attacked with a battered cooking pot. The fourth woman helped Rose to her feet. All four of them screamed at Berver, both insults and taunts, as they battered him back through the doorway and outside. As the fourth woman ran to join them, Rose's eyes met Clarille's. She darted up the stairs, wiping the blood from her nose onto the back of her wrist.

"We'll go down the back stairs. Grab everything," Rose said, as she rushed past Clarille into the bedroom.

"But—" Clarille hurried after her. "But the other women."

"They'll be fine. Hurry," Rose said, prompting Hessa and Jorji to start shoving things in their few bags. "He isn't the first rich bastard we've had to chase off, and he won't be the last. And once the neighbours come out to join in the brawl, he won't stand a chance. He's your husband?"