Chapter 4 - The Winter Celebration

As the fall season moved on to what passed as winter in their part of the kingdom, Clarille and Keridel kept writing to each other. Keeping it a secret was a challenge, and Hessa quickly had to be brought into the fold. With help from the stableboy, Hessa made sure the letters arrived and departed the villa without anyone else knowing.

Clarille counted down the days to the next Bervol party, which would take place in mid-winter. She did her best to hide her excitement as the day came closer, and she did a pretty good job, until her parents announced that they wouldn't be attending. Meaning Cabero would be travelling with her. Cabero would surely get distracted, leaving no one to notice if she slipped out into the gardens with Keridel.

Clarille could hardly wait.

***

The Bervol Estate was as busy as it was before every party. The winter celebration was no where near as large or important as the harvest festival had been. Still, the guestlist was quite long. And Keridel was certainly on the list.

As always, Clarille and Brylow were getting ready together. Cabero had already lost interest in what his younger sister was doing, and was likely off with Berver somewhere. Clarille didn't spare them a second thought as she stood in Brylow's room, eyeing a dress.

Brylow stood beside the hanging dress, beaming. "I couldn't help myself! We were visiting my cousins in Kitsi, and I saw it and immediately thought to myself, 'Clarille must wear it'. Burgundy looks absolutely stunning on you! Everybody thought so at the harvest ball."

It was a beautiful dress. The skirt and fitted bodice were a velvety burgundy fabric. The slashed sleeves and split in the skirt revealed a creamy silk. Gold embroidery decorated every hem. Clarille imagined wearing it and almost blushed at the thought of Keridel's gaze landing on her.

She tried to push that thought aside. "I thought you said simple was better."

"Oh." Brylow waved her hands dismissively. "Last time, yes. But now that Berver's danced with you, it's time to wear something flashier. I have it on good authority that Lady Aleen will be wearing something similar. But Kitsi always has the newest fashions, so I doubt her dress will have slashed sleeves. Probably old puffed sleeves. I bought a dress for myself, of course. In green, and a slightly different embroidery pattern. We'll be—"

"Brylow." Clarille interrupted, her voice working ahead of her thoughts. She had realized quite suddenly that Brylow had to be trusted with the complete truth about Keridel, otherwise she would simply continue to push Clarille towards Berver.

Brylow turned to her, smile fading. "What's wrong?"

Unbidden, Clarille felt tears prick her eyes. Brylow rushed to her side and guided her to sit on the bed.

"Clari, what is it?"

Somehow the childhood nickname made her eyes water even more. It was silly, she tried to tell herself, even though she knew it wasn't. She could feel their childhood dream of being sisters slip out of reach. She only hoped she wouldn't lose Brylow's friendship in the process.

When she finally had some semblance of control over her feelings, she spoke. "I need to tell you something, Bry. About... about... look." She pulled a carefully folded letter from the pocket of her dress. It was Keridel's latest.

Brylow took the letter, unfolded it, and flattened it on her lap. She began to read aloud. "Lady Clarille, I will be in Riode for the Bervols' winter party, and I will certainly do my best to gain an invitation. I have a small bottle of Crelan rum we can discuss. Yours, written in ink." Brylow looked up. "Very cryptic, isn't it? Who is it—" Her eyes went wide. "Keridel. You've been writing to him? Clarille! All this secrecy means your parents don't know, I imagine. And what about—"