Chapter 5 - The Fountain

Clarille,

My trip to the bay has proven very successful. A shipwright in Triben has agreed to build two tall ships for me. My hope is that they will be ready for the next harvest season. The task now is to name the ships. My barges are numbered, so I've never had to name a ship before. The Clarille sounds lovely, wouldn't you agree?

I will be travelling back to Riode tomorrow. My barges aren't very fast, so I will send this letter ahead. I suspect by the time it reaches your villa, I will be back in Riode. I am counting down the days to the spring festival. The Bervols' gardens will certainly be worth a visit.

With all my love, written in ink

Postscript: I have found quite an interesting type of ale in Triben. I look forward to your thoughts about it.

*

Clarille's eyes skimmed over the letter for the umpteenth time, and she smiled. Keridel's way of signing letters, 'written in ink', never failed to get a smile from her. It was sweet how he tried to be vague by not writing his name, while simultaneously speaking of trading barges. As if there could be any doubt as to who wrote the letter.

She took a sip of red wine as she thought about how to answer. He always had interesting updates to tell her, but she never had any to write back. Everything carried on as usual at the villa. The vines were growing well. Her father was letting Cabero have more responsibilities. It was more of the same. There was nothing interesting to write about.

She dipped her quill into the ink and began to write, hoping something interesting would come to her if she at least started the letter. Maybe she could help him name the ships, at least.

*

Keridel,

That is good news about the ships! While The Clarille is a beautiful name, might I suggest something else? The Ocean Olyando, maybe. Or perhaps The Adymuss Merchant. I hope to be able to visit them one day. I've never seen the ocean.

The spring festival cannot come quickly enough. Knowing you are in Riode is as comforting as it is painful. So close, and yet too far. I long for the days when we won't need to wait for the Bervols' parties to see each other.

On a lighter note, I am very excited to try the ale! It is looked down upon as being a commoner drink, and I'm curious to taste it for myself. A stroll in the gardens would be the perfect place for a tasting.

*

Clarille took another sip of wine, and suddenly thought of another thing she could add to the letter.

*

That reminds me, we are trying a new flavour of wine this year. My father has been in contact with a villa on the Pitten Islands, and we will be purchasing pomegranates! I wish wine didn't take so long to make, so I could bring a bottle for us to try.

Until the spring festival, with love, written in ink

*

She reached to put her quill aside without really thinking, and nudged her wineglass. It tipped, and red wine splashed over the letter. Clarille yelped, righted the glass, and grabbed for a cloth to dab up the wine. But it was too late, dark red had already stained the corner of the letter. A ring of colour marked where she had placed the glass after setting it upright, and droplets splashed across her words. Clarille sighed, about to reach for a new piece of paper so she could rewrite the letter, when a silly idea came to her.

She picked up her quill, dipped it in the puddle of wine, and added two words to the end of the letter.

*