Chapter 9: Troublesome Main Characters

"What did they do again?" I snapped as soon as Rowan finished informing me about what was happening in the trial hall.

"The court members including Duke Berenice and Duke Elloid are currently holding a trial regarding Lady Phoebe's case." He grimaced as he repeated what he told me before. "And please don't crumple the contract in your hand, Your Majesty. It's an important document from the committee."

I immediately loosened my grip and massaged my sudden aching temple with my other hand.

What the heck do those crazy old coots think they're doing? Holding a trial without my consent like that. And even my father and uncle? They're not around when I'm fighting a lunatic hell-bent on taking over the empire, but they're suddenly so interested in my assassination attempt by a weak lady.

No, I'm not exaggerating. What? Where were they when I needed them the most? That's a fantastic question. Clearly not around enough.

"Your Majesty." Mary's sudden barging into my study cut my thoughts. "The court wants to execute Lady Phoebe. His Majesty, the emperor is going there right now."

"They want to do what?" I got up from my seat in alarm.

"Your Majesty, you better come there yourself."

"You're right, Mary. Please get me my cape."

Mary and Elizabeth helped me put on my cape and tidied up my appearance a little before we rushed to the trial hall.

Even before I reached the door, I could already hear all their voices: Arsen trying to defend Phoebe, while the rest of the court cornered her.

The guards at the door bowed to greet me and were about to announce my arrival, but I motioned for them to stop. I wanted to hear more of what they were talking about inside so I could plan my move.

"...who tried to harm the empress?" My uncle's voice thundered through the door, and only then did I decide I had heard enough. I nodded at the guard and instructed him to announce me.

The hall was suddenly quiet as I came in. I walked to the center of the hall, trying hard to maintain a graceful appearance and give off a strong impression. Clearly was a hard thing to do when a poisonous inflection of fear suddenly assaulted me, threatening to destroy my years of well-practiced composure.

I held myself from wincing when I almost stumbled, thankful that I was able to regain my footing subtly enough and not end up making a fool of myself.

How did those heroines face their tormentors with ease anyway? Why can't I? Is it because I'm weak? Or is it because I'm not the heroine?

I had thought I would do better than this; something like facing my past and looking at my enemy's eyes in defiance to show I wasn't scared. This is not like that.

Just a glimpse of Constantine's silver hair—being in the same room as him, made my heart thump against my ribcage so hard, it hurt. In the end, I decided to just not look at Constantine altogether in case it would trigger my PTSD. It was another thing I had to be careful about, so I focused on Arsen instead, noticing how he balled his hands into fists as we held each other's gaze.

"I did it." Phoebe's voice suddenly broke the silence.

What the—

I turned and looked at Phoebe incredulously.

"Phoebe..." Arsen and Constantine gave her a desperate look as if signaling her to stop talking.

Does she have a death wish? Why the fuck is she admitting that she tried to murder me when we both know that it isn't true? What the hell is she playing at?