Chapter 5

"What are you doing! You're being so noisy." Shrewpaw grumbled as she opened her eyes. She saw Rockpaw getting out of his nest and he was being so loud about it. She stood up and got out of her nest, she knew she wouldn't be getting any more sleep. Anyway, it would save Softspring the trouble of coming to wake her up.

     "I woke you up, did I." Rockpaw chuckled and Shrewpaw batted his ears with her paw, getting a startled noise out of the tom and a giggle from herself. From the look on Rockpaw's face, she could tell that he wasn't expecting her to do that.

     "Why are you up? Also you should consider yourself lucky that you didn't wake up Nettlepaw." Shrewpaw asked again as the two apprentices walked out of the den.

     "Mothfur woke me up and told me I had a few minutes to get out of the den! He had me collecting bedding for the elders, it's our first day as apprentices and he's making me do that! Maybe you'll have to as well." Shrewpaw listened as Rockpaw explained and she was having a laugh attack inside for most of the time he was speaking. Shrewpaw looked around and spotted Softspring, who was talking with Seedfur and Mothfur.  She walked up to their mentors beside Rockpaw.

     "Ah, Shrewpaw, you're up as well. Did Rockpaw wake you up?" Mothfur meowed as the two apprentices arrived. Shrewpaw just nodded and shot a playful look at Rockpaw. She watched as the young tom followed his mentor out of camp.

     "Well since your awake would you mind getting Nettlepaw up? Me and Softspring decided to take the two of you on a tour of the territory. " Seedfur purred once Rockpaw was out of ear shot.

     "Sure I'll be right back with her!" Shrewpaw replied excitedly. She turned on her paws and rushed over to the apprentices den. She went over to Nettlepaw's nest and prodded her in the side lightly .

     "What are you doing," Nettlepaw groaned. "I'm trying to sleep." 

     "Well, I just wanted to get you up. Just so you know our mentors are taking us on a tour of the territory. Also, Rockpaw got sent on bedding collection!" Shrewpaw replied, nudging the half asleep Nettlepaw again.

     "I'm coming, I'm coming! Oh and wait did you say that Rockpaw's on bedding duty!" Nettlepaw exclaimed as she stood up and shook out her fur, Shrewpaw thought it was probably to clear her of sleep. Once Nettlepaw was up the two she-cats padded out of the den towards their mentors. There was definitly excitement sparking off of them.

     "Are you two ready?" Softspring asked as the two she-cats approached. They both nodded and looked at each other with the largest smiles their muzzles could manage. Shrewpaw had a bounce in her step as she followed Softspring out of camp. 

     "It's amazing!" Nettlepaw breathed beside Shrewpaw. Of course she thought the same, but it wasn't the same as this for her as it was for Nettlepaw. She had been out of camp before, although none of her Clanmates knew. But she was still excited to see the land marks and learn the territory! She never got a tour when she was out with Rabbitflight. They headed all over the territory, Seedfur or Softspring would point landmarks or borders out as they came across them. Shrewpaw and Nettlepaw where also being taught the paths they should follow to get to certain places in the territory and where the best hunting spots were. Then they got to the Outlook Rock. Shrewpaw had seen this from a distance before. It intrigued her.

     "This is the Outlook Rock, when you climb it you can see farther than anywhere on the ground. It's also the best spot to look out across the moor, you can see everything." Softspring explained to the apprentices. Shrewpaw gazed up at the top of the rock. She wondered what it would be like to climb to the top.

     "Nettlepaw, Shrewpaw, you two should climb up there and take a look around, see what all you can see." Seedfur added after, almost as if it was an answer to the thoughts in Shrewpaw's head. 

     "Race you to the top!" Nettlepaw exclaimed before bounding off. Shrewpaw raced after her and the two she-cats raced up the rock. It looked like Shrewpaw was going to win but then Nettlepaw passed her at the last moment. But soon after Shrewpaw was distracted by the view.

     "Wow." was all she could muster as she looked around. The view stretched as far as the eye could see. 

     "It's beautiful." Nettlepaw added sounding equally as stunned as Shrewpaw felt. The two of them just stood there looking around, soaking in the view. After a little while they headed down and back to their mentors. 

     "Lets head back to camp now, you two have had quite the day today getting to see the territory." Seedfur meowed. Once he said that Shrewpaw realized that she was feeling sore. Tired and sore. Come to think of it, she would enjoy relaxing in camp after this day of being shown the territory. 

     "Yes, you have had a long day, grab some prey when we get back to camp." Softspring added as the group started heading back.

                                                                        * * *

     Shrewpaw and Nettlepaw dragged a smaller sized rabbit off the prey pile. They headed over to a corner of the hollow close to the apprentice den.

     "Lets eat this then try to find Rockpaw. We can talk to him about our day and find out about his." Nettlepaw mewed as they settled down.

     "Freshkill! That sounds good but seriously, you were going to look for me after eating!" Rockpaw scoffed as he appeared from behind the den.

     "Hi Rockpaw! How was bedding duty?" Nettlepaw meowed cheerfully. Shrewpaw realized that Nettlepaw ignored her brother's last comment.

     "Shrewpaw! You told her! How could you?!" Rockpaw exclaimed shooting a glare at Shrewpaw. She giggled at the look that he gave her.

     "How could I not?" she chuckled softly, looking over at the tom. 

     After that the Shrewpaw, along with Nettlepaw explained their day of exploring the territory and seeing all the important landmarks. Then Rockpaw decided that he was going to go on and on about how fair it was that he had to go on bedding duty while they got to explore the territory.