Nightmare

Dream took a deep breath.

"You can still turn back."
The empath gazed sadly at the child, deeply grateful for the offer, but aware that he couldn't stand by and do nothing.
"I know."

Frisk frowned, and squeezed his hand once, before nodding and disappearing.

Now Dream was alone inside the AU. It was a very positive one, a True Pacifist timeline, and the Underground was empty.

It was the perfect place to face his twin.

It had been over two months since their escape, and while Dream would never feel safe enough (strong enough) to face Nightmare, he knew his brother had to be stopped, and he couldn't wait any longer.

He had a plan. It was risky, but Dream was reasonably sure he would succeed.

Dream gently sat down crosslegged on the golden flower bed at the start of the Ruins, and holding his hands in his lap, he started to sing.

It was a very old song, something he and Nightmare had known from the moment they had been born, something that was like a spell, but not quite, and it called on the bond they both shared (even now, tainted and frayed as it was). It was meant to help them find one another, but they had never used it, as when they were children they were always together, and after the Incident neither of them wanted to be found by the other.

However, it had always been there, at the back of both of their minds.

Now, Dream was using it.

And like a siren's call, Nightmare answered.

Dream felt him appear behind him, but didn't turn. He let himself enjoy the sun a bit more, allowing himself to feel its rays on his face.

"Dream."

His brother's aura was full of satisfaction, though there were lingering echoes of anger, frustration and condescension, like Dream was nothing more than a misbehaving child that finally saw reason.

"Nightmare."

Dream kept an iron clad grip on his own aura, not letting anything escape. He knew that now Nightmare believed he had won, and wouldn't attack him, so he took his time rising to his feet, smoothing his outfit and turning to his twin.

Nightmare's sharp and possessive stare made Dream feel like prey, prompting him to run and hide, but he resisted and instead placidly held his gaze.

"You Called me."
"I did."

Nightmare's face was split by a smirk.

"So, have you finally see the error of your ways?"
Dream assumed a contrite expression, and started parroting back what Nightmare wanted to hear: "I have. I know you're only trying to protect me, and that you only want the best for me, but I still acted irrationally and ran away. I'm sorry. I was just feeling... cooped up, and when Cross came" at the mention of his lover, Nightmare scowled "I didn't think and followed him." At that point, Dream worked up a little tear. "I guess, I still love him, even if he's dangerous."

Nightmare felt satisfied and smug, but still, he didn't move closer. That wasn't good, Dream needed him close for his plan to work.

His brother tilted his skull and asked: "What about my niece?"

The empath froze. What about Lux? He would obviously die before his daughter had to experience even a second of sadness, but what would Nightmare want to hear? He tried giving an honest answer.

"I... she's already born, you could probably tell. I'm sorry for hiding her from you, I was afraid of how you'd react, especially after Cross's betrayal."