Chapter 3

Bea woke up and grimaced at the light streaming through the curtain edge. It took her a moment to remember where she was.

"Suppose it's time to face the day!" She mumbled to herself groggily.

She got up and headed to the bathroom. As she entered, she remembered the conversation with Jonathan the night before and her cheeks flushed red.

"Why are you so awkward, Bea?" She groaned at herself in the mirror.

She set about getting herself ready for the day. A shower first, then getting herself dressed. She looked at her clothes and picked a black tankini. She had heard they had a beautiful pool at the hotel but she was not especially confident with her fuller figure at the moment. She pulled a red strappy sundress over the top and packed a bag with a towel, a book and suncream.
She pulled her hair back into two plaits and stuck a black floppy sunhat on her head.

"That'll do, Bea. Deep breath, you've got this."

She slipped her sandals on and locked the room as she left.

She was sad to see Jonathan wasn't on the reception desk as she passed through on her way to the pool. She wasn't sure why she expected him to be - the clue being his job title - but she was disappointed.

She found a sun lounger by the pool under a parasol and sorted herself out to have some much needed R&R. She settled down and started reading.

"Excuse me, ma'am?" A voice asked.

Looking up from under her hat, she saw one of the staff members in front of her.

"Yes?" She replied.

"Could I fetch you a drink at all?"

"Oh! Yes, that would be lovely. Could I have a glass of water please with ice and a lemon?"

"Of course, ma'am" He replied as he went to get the drink.

He returned and placed it on the table by her side and she went back to reading her book.

After a while, the humidity was becoming quite uncomfortable for her.

"Maybe a dip in the water will help." She muttered quietly.

She reapplied her sun lotion and stood to remove her dress. She looked around, warily. It was only a short walk to the pool. She could do this. She held her head high and walked towards the water.

As she sank into the cool liquid, she felt instantly more comfortable. She did a few lengths of the pool, nodding at the few guests she saw as she swam past. She felt better so decided it was time to return to her book and sunbathing. Bea was determined to return with a tan of some sort - although her lily white skin was more prone to burning.

She dried off with her towel and settled herself back down on the lounger - leaving her sundress off this time.

The poolside began to become busier as the day went on but Beatrice was lost in her book. She was dimly aware of some women getting louder at the far side of the pool so she decided to peek out from behind her book.

As she looked across the pool, she saw the women were gathered and flirting with someone in the pool. She rolled her eyes. Sometimes she wished she was as confident as women like that… but she knew she couldn't act like they were in public. She was about to go back to her book when the man turned around. She gasped as she saw a familiar face. He was swimming in her direction and she desperately wanted to grab her things and run. He lifted himself out of the pool and she couldn't help staring at his half naked body.

"Oh. My. God." Was all she could say.

His toned arms were bronzed from the sun. His light brown hair had more of a bronze look when wet. His chest and stomach were just… were they abs? He was dabbing at the back of his neck with a towel and standing like a dripping wet Adonis. Her eyes wandered down towards his shorts and she blushed. Was that…? She looked away quickly.

She hurriedly started gathering her things and was about to throw her sundress back on when she heard that deep voice that made her stomach flutter.

"Bea? Is that you?" He asked.

She peered out from under the parasol.

"Oh, hello, Jonathan. I didn't see you there." Her heart pounded at the blatant lie and the looks of the women opposite that were coming her way.

"I was just cooling off. Couldn't sleep. Could I get you a drink?"

"I… I was just about to go back to my room." She said weakly.

"Please? Just the one? I would love to chat to you about that book you're holding."

"Oh, have you read it?"

"It's a personal favourite of mine, as it happens" He answered, his eyes shining.

"Mine too!" She said excitedly before she realised. "OK, one drink then."

As he went to fetch them the drinks, Bea took some breaths to steady the nerves.

"Oh, Bea. I hope you know what you're doing!" She muttered.