Chapter 4

Jonathan had returned with the drinks and they'd settled on the loungers to discuss the book.

Time seemed to fly by and she stopped noticing the other women trying to attract his attention.

"Have you read any of his other works?" Jonathan asked her.

"I haven't actually. This one was recommended to me by an acquaintance and I've found I can't put it down." Bea laughed.

Jonathan smiled at her. "You have a beautiful laugh, Miss Tallow."

"Oh… thank you?" Bea blushed, unsure how to respond.

They continued to talk and Bea was fascinated by how easy he was to talk to. She usually struggled with social situations but he put her at ease with his laid back manner.

"So… any special person in your life?" He asked.

"Oh no. I… There was once but… no. I don't really have time and I guess I just haven't found… maybe it's not for everyone." She stammered. "Do you…?"

"I do not. My work keeps me busy and before that… It was a different life for me then."

"But you must have your pick of the best!" She blurted out. She covered her mouth when she realised she had said it aloud.

Jonathan grinned at her and chuckled. "That's kind of you to say but it isn't true."

"Oh I am so so sorry!" Bea cringed. "My mouth runs away with me sometimes and I just… you're so handsome. You have to see the way the women here today have acted around you."

"I have only been focused on you, Bea." He said as he took her hand in his.

She looked down at his hand holding hers and she felt the butterflies he had given her since she met him.

"But… I'm no one special." She said as she pulled her hand away and looked down at the ground.

"Bea, who has told you that?" Jonathan asked her.

She felt a finger under her chin, lifting it up til her eyes met his. Oh! Those eyes! Blue as the clearest skies. They were crinkled around the edges with concern.

"I… I just…" she struggled and she felt tears pool in her eyes.

"Oh, Bea! No, no. Hush now. It's ok." Jonathan moved to sit next to her on the lounger she was on and put his arm around her. His arm felt strong and secure and she felt herself give into the affection.

"Shhh, it's ok. I'm here. Let it out." She heard him soothing her as he held her with one arm and stroked at her hair with the other.

Bea lifted her head from where she had been leaning into him and looked up at him.

"I'm… wow. I'm so sorry. I have… I guess I needed this break more than I thought." She tried to inject some humour into the situation as she felt the embarrassment settle in.

Jonathan studied her intently and she suddenly felt like she may as well have no clothes on. His gaze made her feel so vulnerable.

"Beatrice, what are you up to this evening? I have a few things to attend to this afternoon but I would like to invite you to have dinner with me tonight?"

Bea looked stunned. "Dinner? With me?"

"Yes, with you." He chuckled.

"Have I not put you off enough with my overly emotional moment just?" She asked.

"Nope. Just made me want to know you more."

"If you're sure… yes. Ok. That would be lovely."

"Meet me by the reception desk at 7pm? I will show you one of my favourite restaurants in Cairo."

"I'll be there." She answered.

"I must go now, Bea. I'll see you later."

He stood up and leaned forward to plant a kiss on her forehead.

As he walked away, Bea stared after him in astonishment at what had just happened.

"Did I just get a kiss from the fittest man here? And did I agree to go on a date with him?" She whispered to herself.

She gathered her things together to head back to her room to try to process what had just happened.

As she walked past the pool and back until the hotel, she could feel the eyes of the other holidaymakers upon her and, for once, she didn't care.