Chapter 6

As Bea turned the corner from the elevator, her breath caught in her throat. She saw Jonathan standing at the desk in a royal blue suit. His collar was open and no tie so it had more of a casual effect.

He heard a noise, looked up and he shot her a big grin. His whole face lit up and Bea found herself smiling back at him.

“Beatrice… You look absolutely stunning.” Jonathan said as he leant in to kiss her cheek.

“You don’t look bad yourself,” Bea shot back whilst blushing.

The worker behind the desk raised his eyebrows at them both.

“Are we done, Mr Pine?” He asked.

“Oh, yes. Thank you. I’m not on tonight but any problems and you know what to do.” He answered.

“Now, shall we, Miss Tallow?” He asked as he placed his hand in the small of her back to direct her to the main doors.

“Of course. Lead the way.” Bea replied. Her nerves were on fire at the feel of his palm against her dress. She felt like the dress had burnt off under his touch.

Jonathan stepped into the evening air and looked at her.

“You really do look beautiful.” He smiled.

“Well… thank you. Where are we off to then, Mr Pine?” She saw a look of… something… flicker across his face and then he was back with his normal smile. Odd, she thought.

“I want to take you to the Osmanly. It serves some really nice dishes and I am rather fond of it.” He grinned. “It’s a nice walk too - I see you wore practical shoes. A girl after my own heart!”

Bea laughed. “I’m like a newborn deer on heels.”

“Oh, heels have their place and they can look amazing but are often very impractical for walking anywhere.” He laughed.

“The voice of experience?” Bea replied, giggling.

“Not an experience I’ve had yet but who knows! The night is young!” He arched his eyebrows at her and let out a chuckle.

Bea smiled back at him as they walked. He was lovely company and he seemed so genuine.

They arrived at the restaurant and were shown to their seats. The waiter brought over the menu and left them to make their decisions.

“Oh, Jonathan!” Bea exclaimed as she perused the menu. “It all looks so good. I can’t decide! Any particular dish you can recommend?”

“Well, I am particularly fond of their Bademli Tavuk - which is a chicken dish. It has almonds in though so best avoided if you have an allergy. I am also a fan of the Mahmudiye - which is a ratatouille dish.”

“Oh. Wow. I don’t know! You pick, Jonathan. I’m easy.” As soon as the words left her mouth, she blushed furiously. She didn’t mean it to sound that way.

If Jonathan noticed, he didn’t show it.

“What drink shall we have? Do you like white wine?”

“I do.”

Jonathan signalled to the waiter that they were ready to order.