Chapter 11

Bea hung up the phone and smiled. Maia had been absolutely made up for her. She couldn’t tell her how she really felt about the delectable Mr Pine - she wasn’t really sure herself.

She found herself out some black capri leggings and a longline green top. She put some black ballet flats on and tied her hair up into a high pony. Looking in the mirror, she slicked on a clear gloss onto her lips and thought of the feel of Jonathan’s lips upon hers. She smiled and applied some sunscreen to her pale skin.

“Ok, Bea!” She started. “Let’s go explore the local scene!”

She left her room and started towards the reception area to leave. As she walked towards the outside, she saw Jonathan talking to another staff member. He looked annoyed. Damn, that man was handsome when pissed off. Bea shook her head and carried on out the building.

The heat hit her as soon as she stepped out. It was stifling. A glance at her phone told her the temperature was 35℃ and rising. She must remember to stay in the shade and to stay hydrated.

As she walked the busy paths, she gazed around at the people milling about their business. She smiled to herself as she wondered how many of them had partaken in some fun with their partners that morning before they left the house. She felt so different inside. She felt like she was standing up taller and more confidently. It felt strange but she also liked it.

She stopped as she saw a beautiful sight in the distance - Soor el Azbakeya book market. She had read of this place in a tour guide and had been excited to learn of its existence. Books! Oh how she loved literature.  She hurried along to look at the tomes there. She walked through the stacks of books in awe of the selection. Not only were there traditional writings for the area but there were books she recognised and loved. She wondered if Jonathan had come here before - she suspected he had. She picked several books up - including one written in Arabic as she hoped to learn the language.

“Will that be all for your selection?” A kind looking gentleman asked her as she got ready to pay.

“Oh, I could spend hours in here. Working here must be so rewarding!” Bea answered.

“It helps when we have lovely customers like yourself in,” the man smiled. “The book market seems to be dwindling as digital books become more popular.”

“You can’t beat the feel of a good book, in my opinion.” She answered, honestly.

“I hope you enjoy your bargains.” The man said as he handed her the books packaged in a paper wrapper tied with string.

“Thank you so much,” replied Bea. “I don’t suppose you’d be able to help me at all? I’m looking for somewhere that sells clothing. I think the traditional clothing here is beautiful and am looking to purchase some to take home to remind me of my trip.”

“I think that you would be best looking in the Khan Al-Khalili market.” He answered.

“Thank you so much.” Bea said cheerily.

She left the book market and followed the directions the man had given her. She spotted what she was after right away. Hanging up on a mannequin was an emerald green belly dancer's outfit. She had once taken lessons in London as an exercise class to support a friend. She had struggled with her confidence during it.

“Excuse me? May I view this outfit please?” She asked the older gentleman behind the table.

“Ah, a beautiful choice for a beautiful lady!” The man said as he pulled the mannequin down.

Bea ran her hand across the silk and gauze outfit. It was emerald green and edged with gold embroidery. The skirt had little bells across the bottom to jingle as you moved and there was a beautiful veil that matched. Bea knew she had a bra to colour match it perfectly and she felt so happy.

“Yes, please. I would like to buy this.”

After a tiny haggle over the price, Bea left the market happy and excited with her buys. She couldn't wait to surprise Jonathan with the outfit after their date that night.

As she walked back to the hotel, Bea felt so content with life. Maybe she really had needed this break. She only had a few days left and she intended to make the most of them. She couldn’t think further than that as her stomach knotted at the thought of leaving Jonathan.

“Oh, Bea. How did we get into this situation?” She mumbled to herself.

She didn’t see Jonathan as she entered the hotel and she was mildly disappointed. She took the elevator to her room and set about getting herself ready for that evening's date.