Catching Up

Driving along there was a strange silence in the car. Alan was still in disbelief he once again got himself into this again, but he took comfort in knowing it was Ellie this time, her idea. He smiled to himself, planning to remember that later on.

"So how are your kids?"

Alan only received postcards off Ellie every couple of months with a small update on how she is and where she was. Apart from that he didn't really know much about her life anymore.

"The kids? Great doing well."

All of a sudden Ellie pulled up and parked outside a bar.

"We have a long drive ahead of us. Beer? Also I'm starving."

Ellie smiled as she grabbed her keys and closed her car door. Walking into the bar they found a quiet booth in the corner.

"You come here often?" Alan looked at Ellie as he sat down.

"Once or twice before yeah, it's nice." Ellie said as she looked around the room.

Alan sat in the booth opposite Ellie. A waitress comes by and takes their drink order while handing them a bar menu. Ellie orders some food and the waitress leaves.

"And just like that we went back to old habits" Ellie smiled at Alan who just realised what had happened.

"Typical even after all this time you order and I stay silent, happy to agree" Alan laughed.

"So Ellie, how are you? Mark ok?" Alan knew what he did but he was dying to know.

Ellie raised an eyebrow at him and smiled.

"Well, I'm good and as for Mark...well lets just say that part of my life is over and has been that way for a very long time."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Ellie"

Like hell he was Alan but his head down and smirked. He had nothing against Mark to be fair. Mark did love Ellie the last time he saw them together and Ellie was happy so Alan was happy for them. He cleared his throat hoping Ellie didn't notice the slight smirk he pulled.

Ellie to a swig of her water and then spoke.

"Don't be, I'm fine, I'm back to me, my work, it's good, I'm alone at last..."

"Exciting times" Alan added

" Yeah im living the Alan Grant life"

"Can be lonely" Alan mentioned as he took a swig of his beer.

"It's so freeing.." She said that at the same time.

Alan noticed a glint in her eye, he hadn't seen that glint in what felt like a lifetime. He smiled and they both went quiet as their food arrived.

"Yeah well how about you Dr. Alan? How have you been all these years?"

Alan smilled, he felt Ellie wasn't telling him the whole story about herself. So he had an idea.

"Oh the life of Alan Grant, well apart from the endless trail of broken hearts I have to break over the years it's been hard..." Alan grinned wide

"Oh Alan, seriously? You alright?"

"I was until you busted me with the broken hearts....Hard to believe I guess?"

Alan was trying to keep a straight face.

"Lets just say last I checked your name was Grant not Malcolm"

"Yeah not my style is it? Honestly I've been fine. You know me Ellie. Rock, bones and the occasional lecture at a College.

"Time changes and we are running to catch up" Ellie smiled at Alan as she began to eat.

After they had finished eating Alan got up to pay.

"Oh no you don't my treat Alan"

"Is that so?"

As he said that he paid the waitress and hurried her along. He turned to Ellie, smiling a little smug.

"Why do you do that? I was going to pay?"

Ellie looked at Alan disgruntled.

"Isn't this how it works? You order and I pay...regardless" Alan said, grabbing his hat ready to leave.

All Ellie could do was shake her head and smile at Alan walking towards the car.

"Right buckle up Grant, we are about an hour away."

Ellie smiled, she knew Alan hated it when she called him Grant. Alan looked at her as she shrugged her shoulders. He couldn't help but smile, even after all this time, it was like they had never been apart. Alan shook his head quickly and let the thought pass. Ellie started the car, and drove the final hour until they came into an open area. A big sign overlooked them, the Department of Prehistoric Wildlife.