Chapter 14

After Val had cancelled the programmed E-mail to Ciro Costas she was dragged down the hallway towards her bedroom.

Val was pleased to see her room was left relatively unchanged. The queen-sized bed was up against the wall opposite the door and the large bay windows had the curtains drawn. The room was fit for a princess though Val always thought of it more as her room in the tower. There were no bars on the windows but there didn't need to be—she already knew it was little more than an extremely comfortable cage.

"Welcome home my ass," Val growled as she was thrown onto her bed by one of the men that had been restraining her in her father's office. The other guard had gone off to get a sledgehammer from the tool shed.

Perfect, Val inwardly grumbled. This wasn't likely to end well.

"What did you expect?" The guard asked, his dark eyes narrowing. "Almost everyone working for your father knows someone either in jail right now or dead because of your little sabotage mission."

Val couldn't remember the guard's name, but had often seen him standing guard outside of her father's office. He was a bald guy with a muscular build and a serious face. Val had dubbed him 'Vinny' in her mind, because he looked like Vin Diesel.

Val sat up on the edge of her bed and rubbed at her sore wrists. "Yeah, well, maybe they shouldn't have signed up for a life of organized crime, ever thought of that?"

She ignored the look of hatred 'Vinny' was giving her. She could tell that he—and likely all the men that had happily followed after her as she was dragged from Nico's car and then through the mansion—would love nothing more than to pummel her. After all, she had almost brought down the Feds on all of them, not to mention she was the reason they now had to risk their lives every day when going up against the Costas in territory wars. The amount of gang violence had risen significantly the past few weeks. It was all over the news. Val knew all about it, knew she had caused it.

She tried not to feel too bad. After all, you only reached the rank of a Greco or Costas 'soldier' by taking another life. It was a requirement if you wanted to move up in the hierarchy. She was sure the mobsters that had died in gunfights probably weren't the most upstanding citizens. They had probably taken their fair share of lives too.

Val gave up on massaging her wrists. The guards that had restrained her had hurt them too badly for a massage to do much good and so she waited patiently on the bed, peering across the room at where Vinny stood by her door. Her eyes slid to the closet to her right, and she felt a familiar feeling of pain shoot through her chest as she remembered being trapped in there with Alex. She smiled despite the pain. At least it had happened.

The door opened and the other guard, a thinner man named Jon, stepped in. He held the sledgehammer out for Val to see, and wiggled it in the air at her. His lips formed a malicious smile. "Take off your pants," he said as he took another step in the room. Vinny was smiling right beside him, ready to hold Val down when she resisted.

She watched them, boredom in her clear green eyes.

Any second now, she thought. Time to stall them.

She arched a brow at Jon. "I'll take off mine if you take off yours."

Jon and Vinny both exchanged puzzled looks before focusing their attention on the teenager again. Jon lowered the sledgehammer to the floor, his fingers curling around the wooden handle, just under the hammer.

"You think this is a joke, little girl?" Jon snarled. He licked his dry lips.

Vinny stalked over to a now-smiling Val and grabbed her by the collar. He used unnecessary force to throw her onto her back again, unnecessary because she wasn't fighting back.