22. All too well?

Han seo jun's POV:

Halmeoni woke up and I realized how scared I was. She's like a big, shady tree for my family, she has always been, if we lose her, it would be like losing a shelter and spending the rest of our lives under the scorching Sun. I sat next to her and hugged her, my throat getting heavy because of the sob that was trying to break out of its cage. I gulped it down and shut my eyes as I squeezed her shoulder and inhaled her scent. I was so glad that she was OK. Letting go of her, my eyes automatically looked for Ji-ah across the room, to see her relief-stricken face and maybe her smile but she wasn't there.

It's been a while now and I can't help but sneak glances at the door from time to time. "Where is she?" That was the only thing crossing my mind time and again.Not keeping it in any longer I walked out of the room to look for her, My eyes roamed, searching through the lobby when I spotted her, pacing impatiently with her phone clenched in her hands tightly. She stopped abruptly, took a long breath, and sat on the bench to type something on her phone again. "What is up with her?" She was rubbing her face, just the way you try to wipe the cold sweat away but she was doing that rather harshly.
I slowly moved towards her and grabbed her hand.

She was gliding her hands over her temple, chin, her cheeks her face turned red

I lied to her that halmeoni was calling her. What was I supposed to say to her? that I came looking for her because I was worried. She went immediately but left her phone on the bench I picked it up, the google search bar was popped open on the screen and I read what appeared on it.

"How much does Coronary bypass surgery costs?" and the answer was "80,000$ to 200,000$" and I understood why she was pacing out here, She's worried about the money and I recalled the conversation that we had with the doctor about Halmeoni.

Doctor: Your Grandmother has a lethal cardiac condition, when I diagnosed it I asked her to have the angioplasty right away but she was persistent on sticking to the medicines only. Medicines improve the condition if it's not severe but your grandmother's case was the opposite at that time. Now we have performed the angioplasty which will help to improve the blood flow for the time being but she is still susceptible because now the condition has worsened over the past month because meds were not working that well on her.

Ji-ah: So what's the best treatment now doctor?

Doctor: I suggest that we carry out the Coronary bypass surgery as soon as we can because if she gets another attack it would be difficult to save her, We are going to keep her hospitalized so that if something happens she will get medical assistance right away.

Ji-ah: Fine, go with the surgery then

Doctor: It's expensive plus there are only a few doctors experienced enough to carry out the procedure so you'll get waitlisted first, if you apply right away then you'll get a date for next month. But once the surgery is done, she can live like a normal person but with meds ofcourse.