Chapter 8

It feels like all I do is search for her, what am I, her personal GPS or something? Always tracking her down only for her to call me ugly. Ha! Only if she knew how many maidens are waiting for me to just flash them a smile... WHAT THE HELL AM I THINKING RIGHT NOW? Damn, I'm losing it I guess. Ok Ashford, pull yourself together. What are we doing? We're looking for Ms. Deathwish. Okay. Let's focus now. Aiden let out a long sigh.

He asked around for her but to no avail. He just ended up roaming around like a lunatic. At last, he found out through Lady Araxie that she went on a short  trip with Father Allerick. But he wasn't fully convinced though. He never had a proper conversation with Father Allerick before which lead him to not have full faith in his intentions. He wasn't sure why Nyx would leave with him during such a sensitive time and that too without informing him.

Nyx going out of the castle on a time like this? And that too without telling anyone? No that doesn't seem right. Is she sneaking out? Maybe to meet someone? No no, what am I thinking, Nyx won't do such a thing. He went on and on with his internal monologue, weaving theories as to where she could be (of course what he was doing was completely useless, that moron). He spent the rest of the day feeling restless and anxious nonetheless.

Nyx and Father Allerick walked through a somewhat dense forest of the evergreen Redwood trees. The walk was silent but there was a certain feeling of comfort in the silence. It was something new for her because she was used to associating silence with the bellows of coldness and apathy. Never did she think that someone can make her feel so... tranquil.
They finally reached the pathway between two ageing Redwood trees which led to the Demon Empire. The city of Ellesmere, as it was called.

"Shall we proceed, my child?"
"Yes father".

Whenever she entered Ellesmere, it was as if she's crossing a... Force field? Threshold? Whatever it was, it was strange. But it felt comforting; it felt like home. It was as if her heart echoed with a calling and it was being answered; numbing her veins with a feeling she couldn't comprehend.

Before Nyx had the time to think anything a hoard of children tackled her to the ground.
"You're finally back Nyx! We missed you so much! Why were you gone for so long?" They all screamed in unison. Nyx laughed, trying to calm them down

"Now now kids, calm down she might get hurt. Be a bit careful with her." A husky voice said. Nyx looked up to lock eyes with him- Lucian Erebus. He was the first friend she made in the Demon Empire. He helped her back up to her feet. "Took you quite a while to come back this time huh. Trouble in the vampire realm perhaps?" He said, smiling.
"Yeah you could say that. The Royal palace has been a bit busy for a long while."
"Royal palace? What work do you have there?" He asked, confused.
"Huh? Why won't I- OH" they don't know I'm- OH CRAP IS MY BRAIN DEAD OR SOMETHING?
"Uhh- the thing is- uhhhhhh- OH YEAH! My parents! Yeah they work at the Royal palace. Since it's really hectic I decided to help them out. That's why I've been quite busy haha" Nyx stuttered through her words, laughing nervously.
"It's the first time I'm seeing you so flustered. Are you usually like that?" Lucian said, amused.
"Flustered? Me? Oh no I'm never like that. It's just I was taken a bit off guard by the kids and you. I mean- it's been a long time since I met you guys, maybe that's why." She shrugged as she said. It's true, she never got flustered. It wouldn't be a good look for the future queen if she stuttered like that now would it?
The day went blissfully. She rarely got to spend her time like that. Playing with the kids, helping out with the vendors, chatting with the old folks, these were things she usually did with her own people, and the demons never for even a moment, felt any different from that.

"You should come often my child, we love having you here. You almost feel like family now." An elderly lady told Nyx, cupping her carved face in her wrinkle palms. That moment struck a chord with Nyx. She never knew... A demon could caress someone like that, a touch so delicate and tender that her heart almost stopped. A wave of guilt washed over her.
"Uh- sure I'll try my best to come around more often." She barely managed to say that.

"If you aren't busy, can I take you somewhere Nyx?" She looked up to meet Lucian's eyes.
"Yeah sure, were do you wanna take me?" Her voice squeaked out of curiosity.

"Somewhere I know you'll love."

After a long treck along a hill, Lucian finally said "We're here". But his voice didn't seem to reach Nyx because she was too enthralled by the view in front of her. The whole city bathed in the orange and pink beams of the setting sun, laced with it's glimmer. "I didn't know there would be such a view in the Demon Empire." Nyx gasped in awe.
"I take it that you like the scenery?"
"Liked is an understatement."

Both of them sat on the lush green coat of grass, admiring the view.
"You know, I'm thankful that you are not like the other vampires." Lucian said.
"What do you mean? I am like the other vampires; I even have average sized fangs! (*Her fangs were not average sized, I mean seriously?) Lucian chuckled.
"No that's not what I mean. You gave it a chance to actually get to know us demons. Most of your kind would have sliced us in half the moment our eyes met. So... Thank you."
"What's there to thank me for? I know you would do the same if you were in my place. I mean- you also gave me, a vampire, a chance right? I just wish I could bring my friends here, so that they could see this view, play with the kids and enjoy the stuff I did today" A sad smile spread across her face.
"What's stopping you from bringing them?"
"You better be joking. They're extremely strong vampires, they'll wreak havoc if I bring them here and bury me along with all of you." Lucian grinned
"It's not like we're weak either. Anyway, how strong can you're friends be? It's not as if they're the members of the Royal Guard or something" he said, laughing.
"YOU'RE SO FUNNY LUCIAN! HAHAHA!! I MEAN THE ROYAL GUARD? HOW WOULD I EVER KNOW THEM? They won't even be aware of my existence! Hahaha!" She said, repeatedly shoving her palm into Lucian's shoulders.

Oh you innocent, innocent child she thought, sweating a bit.

They spent the rest of the day there, chatting and laughing, catching up with each other. It was mostly just Nyx talking and Lucian listening, but that was their thing. Lucian enjoyed listening to her, chuckled as she went off track and started blabbering about something completely different. He adored seeing how her eyes glimmered when she talked about the things she loved, when she shared her memories. Deep down, he wished he was there with her when she experienced the things she talked so passionately about. He wished he was one of those friends she adored so much.

It was as if time didn't exist when they spent time with each other. They never knew when dusk started to peep through the horizon.

"Oh shoot, it's getting late I should get going. Thanks again for bringing me here"
"This is the least I could do for you, Nyx." He smiled. His smile hasn't changed from the first time I met him. The first time I realised, even a demon's smile could be so pure she thought. She looked as Lucian's pine green eyes shimmered like an opalescent jade in the rays of the setting sun.
But somehow, those shades of green faded into a bright hue of Amber in her subconscious for an instance.

Huh? What was that? Am I hallucinating?

They bid they're farewells.

"Until next time"

"Why didn't I realise that it got so late? I hope I don't get caught by the Royal Guard. They'll kill me for leaving without telling them. GEEZ." She talked to herself, anxious and frustrated.
Somehow, she managed to sneak by all the guards and her friends. Leaping from rooftops and slithering from one balcony to the other wasn't a big deal for her. "Finally! I can't wait to jump into my bed, I'm exhausted!" She said as she tossed her cloak and the hidden daggers onto the couch.
"The room feels a bit warmer than usual... That's strange" Nyx said, as she took of her boots and vest. "And the fireplace is lit, how's that possible?" She said as she approached the fire place. "Was someone in my room---"

"Care to explain where you were, Princess?"