Chapter 10: Into the system

It took a while and way more deep conversations as she was comfortable with, but eventually she managed to convince the shrinks she hadn't tried to kill herself. They didn't believe that she hadn't taken any drugs, but chalked it up to an accidental overdoses.

That's how she ended up in the passenger seat of a rather harassed looking woman. She had been a bundle of nervous energy since she met her, and said her name is Nicole. The smile she wore was fake and apologetic at the same time.

She came with only the clothes on her back, and was now wearing an oversized shirt that had probably belonged to a guy at some point, judging by the neck cut. While she had her own clothes, they were stored in her shrunk-down trunk, and with how slowly her magic was recovering she wouldn't be able to reach them any time soon.

She had thankfully still charged up some of her baubles, so if push came to shove she would have a few tricks up her sleeve. The woman had given a few odd looks at the symbols drawn on the bracelets she wore, and Jay wasn't used to people actually seeing them. But, again, no glamours. Jay was pretty sure the woman thought that she came from a cult at this point, but had apparently decided that wasn't her problem. The robes she arrived in had certainly not helped any.

"Here we are."

She pulled to a stop in front of an normal looking house. It wasn't very impressive, and Jay could hardly believe that the couple living there had two children of their own, along with three foster children. But then again she grew up in a mansion. Her perspective was probably biased and while neglected she was in fact very spoilt with anything materialistic. Perhaps it was normal and she just didn't know.

Nicole led her up the path and knocked on the front door. A tall man opened it.

"You're late." The man frowns and Jay is momentarily put off.

"Apologies, the discharge took a little while longer as expected."

The man lets them in and they go to the kitchen where a boy around Jen's age is making sandwiches. There is also a woman at the table, making a crossword puzzle. "Ah, you're finally here."

"Here she is. Jen, say hello to Mr. and Mrs. Todd, they will be your foster parents for the foreseeable future."

Jen greets them politely. They don't reciprocate and Jen gets the feeling she won't be having a great time here at all. They're looking at her like she's an insect and Jen doesn't care for it one bit.

"Well, you know the drill, here is the paperwork." Nicole pulls out a folder from her bag, "So if you could sign here."

Ten minutes later Nicole has left and she's left alone with these people. Jen schools her expressions, and it reminds her of her time with Lily and James.

"I'll be very clear. We tell you to do something, you do it. We do not tolerate backtalking, drugs or alcohol. We expect you to help in the house as we see fit, you will go to school without complaint. If you break any other rules, you will get the belt. Do I make myself clear?"

Jen clenches her jaw. The boy who was making lunch hunched in on himself even further as he had already been.

"Yes sir."

"Toby!" He barks.

Toby just about jumps out of his skin. "Yes sir?"

"Get her upstairs, show her to the shared room."

The boy abandons the sandwiches to lead her upstairs in a brisk pace. He shows her a room with two bunk beds. It's barely big enough to fit them and at the foot end of the mattress three of four beds have a bag. There isn't space to put them anywhere else.