Dex appreciation!!!!!!

Ok, so it's like 3 a.m. and I'm just like getting depressed vibes, so I decided to read the first KOTLC book, and like the kidnapping part, and like with my music made me actually understand what these poor kids went through.

Sophie was burned and drugged fiercely for reasons she couldn't comprehend when she was 12 years old. (Actually the book said she was thirteen, but like still)

Dex was 11 or 12. (Probably 12) He was just checking on his first and best friend, who he had just gotten mad at for not being open with him. Sophie had her reasons for hiding stuff from him, but look at it from Dex's point of view. His best friend, his crush, won't tell him things, and starts confiding and hanging out with the people who completely ignored you for your whole life and are the complete opposite of you. I agree that he shouldn't have gotten as mad as he did when she told him about her adoption request being canceled, but I could see myself doing the same thing. Then he was brutally burned and drugged and still has scars. He had to listen to Sophie's screams, knowing he couldn't do anything to stop it. He then was shot by a melder several times and almost died. Again.

THESE KIDS NEED THERAPISTS HOW THE FUCK ARE THEY STILL DOING NORMAL EVERYDAY THINGS.

I wanna make a quick oneshot, it's gonna be a bit different from the book, just to show that there is a strong relationship between Sophie and Dex, so here we go.

Dex POV:

He didn't know what was happening. The girl had said he was her best friend. Then suddenly she runs off to those Vacker kids. He didn't know what to think.

He used to eat lunch in the Alchemy lab. Sophie had gave him the courage to sit in the cafeteria and make friends.

Sophie had put Biana and Wonderboy in their place during the Splotching match. It really did mean a lot.

But did she understand?

What it was like, to know that society told you that you were never supposed to exist since you were born.

To have to protect your siblings from the world.

To have to deal with the constant scorn.

To be slowly breaking away, desperately looking for something to hold onto.

To be stuck in an endless void.

To have a monster running free inside of you.

To be slowly fading away.

He snapped. And he felt terrible. He didn't want to hurt her. He was a jerk. But he had been bottling his true emotions for so long.

Anger when people looked down his family.

Pain when people physically bullied him.

Sadness when everybody hates him.

Loneliness when nobody wanted him.

Anxiety when grades came back, wondering if you were just going to fuel what people thought about you.

Depression when he was constantly being compared with.

The endless feeling of nothingness threatening to envelope you.

But he was still here. And he was holding on. He was a warrior.

He had to apologize.

He saw how broken Sophie looked when she found out that the Vackers had set her up this whole time.

Surprisingly Keefe approached him, asking for his help.

Keefe had always been a bit nicer to him. And when he said that Sophie didn't want Fitz or Biana or even him, she wanted her best friend, his resolve strengthened.