Chapter 5 ~A not very welcoming welcome~

Jeanette's Pov

I sat in the carriage, excited about the prospect of finally being able to live in the palace. 

'I can't wait to be able to finally be able to live as a Princess.' I thought gleefully.

I looked out of the window, 'The Ruby Palace, since rubies are such precious jewels I'm sure the palace is amazing.'

I fiddled my my dress bows, excited.

'Father must have given me a more precious palace than that girl because I'm the daughter of his Fiancé!'

I sighed and lied back in my seat, terribly pleased with my situation.

"Lady Jeanette!"

I sat up surprised at the loud voice and banging on the door.

'What on earth does that guard want? I'm sure we are not at the Ruby Palace yet!'

I looked out of the carriage window, the only thing I could see was overgrown bushes and crumbling pillars.

I sighed and went to go open the carriage door.

The guard frowned, he looked uncomfortable.

"What is it?" I said, trying hard to not show the annoyance in my voice.

"We are here at the Ruby Palace Lady Jeanette.."

'Really? we are already here?'

The guard reached out for my hand and helped me out of the carriage.

Right in front of me was the most barren palace I've ever seen.

It wasn't adorned with beautiful flowers or studded with jewels like Uncle said, the dirty cream paint was chipping and the windows looked like they had cracks in them.

"This is the Ruby Palace!?" I said, not able to mask the anger in my voice.

"Uh, yes Lady Jeanette.." the guard said, everting his eyes.

"Its Princess Jeanette to you!" I yelled back, not believing that this lowly knight could address me so informally.

I looked back at the building, shocked at the fact that only three servants were there.

I stomped towards them, getting angrier by the minute.

"Where is everyone else? this is no way to greet a Princess!"

The three maids looked at me with distaste.

"Actually, Lady Jeanette, you have yet to be named a Princess." the oldest looking maid said sharply.

"Also the reason why no ones here is because we were just informed of your arrival, and since its late at night most of the maids have already gone to sleep."

"O-oh," I replied, my cheeks turning red.

"I see.."

The oldest maid introduced herself, "I am Louise, the head maid of this palace, I'm always very busy but if you have any problems please come to me."

She introduced the maids on her left and right.

"This is Fiona and this," she pointed at the ravenette on her left "Is Sofia, she will be your personal maid for the time being." 

The ravenette bowed down and responded monotony "I will serve you from now on Lady Jeanette."

I smirked, "Good, now could you please show me to my room? "

The ravenette nodded and gestured for me to follow her.

We made our way through countless barren hallways. 

The maid was always walking so fast, it was hard to keep up with her.

'How rude! a maid should never walk faster than their lady!'

Sofia stopped in front of the door at the end of the hall.

"Here is your room, Lady Jeanette."

The maid opened the door to reveal a very plainly decorated room

I looked at the maid. "Do you have another more suitable room?"

The maid sighed.

"Since the Lady's arrival is unexpected, we were only able to prepare one room in time."

I frowned. "Couldn't they have made the room look even a bit better?"

The maid started to walk out of the room.

"If you need anything else, please ring the bell."

I turned to her, about to ask her to help me change out of my dress.

"Wait, I-"

But she was already gone.

"Ugh!" I kicked the side of my bed in frustration "Ow! how dare they disrespect me like this!!"

'Well," I thought, "I suppose I'll go to bed in my dress then!"

I fell onto the bed, messing up the sheets.

"it'll be their fault if my dress gets ruined!"

I fell asleep quite quickly, snoring throughout the night.