Chapter 23 ~*Ladies in waiting*~ pt.1

Athanasia sat within her room, looking over the candidates for lady in waiting.

"Hm... seems that all of the girls who came to my tea party have volunteered to be my ladies in waiting..."

'Ladies in waiting are a must have for a female royal, it cements their influence over the palace and nobles.'

'From what I remember, the average amount of ladies in waiting for a first born princess is around eight.'

'Hmm...'

"Hey Lily?" Athanasia turned to her trusty maid, smiling.

"Oh, yes Princess?"

"Please organise a meeting for all of the lady in waiting candidates."

Lily smiled, bowing obediently.

"Yes my Lady."

"Oh, organize one for Princess Jeanette, I think two ladies in waiting would be good for her." Athanasia said, placing her tea cup down and smiling.

Lily's demeanor immediately became uneasy as the other maids cleaning the room immediately became whispering to each other. 

"Ah, Princess, are you sure anyone would actually volunteer as a lady in waiting for princess Jeanette?"

"Hm.. write me a list of families with debts or are on bad terms with the Imperial family, I shall interview them after I interview my ladies in waiting."

"yes princess." Lilys face hardened as she thought that Princess Jeanette didn't even deserve one lady in waiting.

Throughout the Empire, Butlers would open doors to footmen holding an envelope with the Imperial families glittering seal on it.

Countless noble families praised the Empire with hands clasped and congratulated their daughters on being chosen for the interviews, going around to less fortunate noble families and bragging about how well bred and smart their daughters were.

The noble families that weren't chosen could only grit their teeth, hiding their anger behind raised fans or polite smiles.

This exact thing happened for two noble ladies, one from a family crawling in debt, one from a family demoted to the rank of baron after a falling out with the imperial family.

Lady Ethel Nero of the Nero Viscountdom looked upon her letter with her bright Purple eyes.

"An interview to pick me as a spy within the Ruby palace?"

"This should be interesting."

On the out skirts of the capital, Miss Helga Terel bit her lip as she read the letter, her dull brown eyes dark with anger. 

"This illegitimate Princess thinks she can order me around!?"

"She should know Im of higher standing than her! after all my family used to be a Marquis!"

"Hm.. but if I go, I could help Princess Jeanette as a lady in waiting in the ruby palace..."

The plain girls face contorted into a grin as she thought of stomping on Athanasia as she helped Princess Jeanette make way for the throne.