1.1: The Dragon's call part 1

« Shouldn't we be there yet? » 

« If you'd stop complaining and actually open your eyes, you'd have your answer ».

After what felt like 2 weeks of walking but was only two days because of Merlin bickering, I was back to my second home.

Camelot.

Merlin and I were in front of the gigantic walls which incircled the city.

« You're ready for a new adventure? » I asked my younger brother.

« Ready as I ever will » he answered.

≪ ◦ ❖ ◦ ≫

As we both entered the city, we could hear the drums and horns playing. When we approached, a large crowd was there. And a man and two guards who were escorting him came. I sighed slightly, knowing what would happen. Poor Merlin, not even a day here, and he's going to see his first and hopefully his last execution. As I was zoning out, a voice interrupted my thoughts.

« Let this serve as a lesson to all...this man, Thomas James Colins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And pursuant to the law of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. » The king proclaimed.

Merlin eyes were darting between me and Uther, and at the look on his face, he wanted to be sure that he heard perfectly what was happening. I only nodded, sighting.

« But he can't do this » exclaimed merlin to me in a whispering voice

« Of course he can Merlin he's the King » I scoffed at the same tone as him

« I Pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass. »

Turning my head at his stupidity, I found Lady Morgana by her window, looking distraught at the scene. We looked at each other, and I smiled at her knowing how she felt about all of this, to which she replied with a sad smile.
Thomas was now on his knee, his head inclined, so he was looking at the floor.

I stepped closer to Merlin, knowing that if he was careless, it could be him one day. Sensing my anxiety, he put an arm around my shoulders.

The executioner raised his arms with his axe in his hands. The king has his left arm up too and lowered it as a signal for the executioner.

Before it happened, I buried my face in Merlin's shoulder. I could feel him tighten his grip around me, his cheek on my head.

A large sharp could be heard and then a glacial silence, the only person talking was the king.

« When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help, magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival to celebrate 20 years since the great dragon was captured, and Camelot freed from the evil sorcery. Let the celebrations begin. »