1.4 The Poisoned Chalice part 3

Arthur was furious, to his father, for not letting him go, but also to himself, he didn't know what to do. Of course he wanted to go and save Merlin, but what if something happened to him. His father was right on this point, he is the only heir to the throne, the future King. What would happened if he died?

« Say what you'd like about the food, but you can't beat our feasts for entertainment. » a familiar voice interrupted his thoughts and caused him to detached himself from the fireplace where he was leaning on
« Morgana, I'm sorry. I should have made sure you were all right. » he sighed not looking in her direction
« I'm disappointed actually. I was looking forward to clumping a couple around the head with a ladle. »
« I'm sure the guard could have handled Bayard and his men. »
« Yeah. But why let the boys have all the fun? » she replied. That's what Y/N said thoughts Arthur.
« Morgana, you shouldn't get involved. It's dangerous. » he said seriously
« Spare me the lecture. I've already had it from Uther. That's what you told Y/N to? To not get involved even if it's her brother life that's on the line. »
« I'm not letting any of you get hurt, what's the point in serving Merlin if she's not here anymore. And if it's not any consolation, you weren't the only one. »
« Not that I listen to him . Sometimes you've got to do what you think is right and damn the consequences » she said hopping it would wake up something in him to not give up.
« You think I should go. »
« It doesn't matter what I think. »
« If I don't make it back, who will be the next king of Camelot. There's more than just my life at stake. » he said approaching her
« And what kind of king would Camelot want? ONe that would risk his life to save the one of a lowly servant » she started taking the sword from the table next to her « or one who does what his father tells him to? » she continue handing him his sword.

-

I was still at Merlin's side, tabbing his forehead but whatever we did, his fever didn't got down.
« What if my magic could help him? » I asked Gaius
« I fear that your magic would be worse than to not used it. Look at this » He said pointing at one of the paragraph of the book « It warns that the effect of the mortaeus will be more rapid if an enchantment is used during the flower's preparation or by using healing power » he said and I sighed. I really couldn't do anything apart from searching for the flower
Soon enough the door bursted open revealing Morgana.
« He's leaving now , he's preparing his horse you should go. » she said breathless

I took the bag I prepared sonner and quickly run to the stable, I needed to be quick but careful, I didn't want to be caught by any of the guards.
I saw him mounting on his horse and quickly stopped him
« Going somewhere? » I asked him, he didn't looked surprised.
« I told you were not going »
« And I told you it was non negotiable, let me grab a horse. »
« It'll take to much time, come one » he said handing me his arms. I grabbed it and climb behind him. And quickly wrapped my arms around his waist .
We didn't waste any minutes, practically passing over the guards as they tried to stop us, and left Camelot.
We ride for so long I didn't even felt myself fall asleep on Arthur's back. I softly groaned at the light and tried to ignore the embarrassment of the situation
« Morning » he greeted
« Are we close? » I asked, hopping it wouldn't be long, we didn't have the time to get lost in the forest
« We should be there in 3 hours, if we don't stop. »

-

In Camelot Gwen took the place of Y/N beside Merlin early in the morning.

« He's getting hotter » she commented as Merlin started to mumbled incomprehensible things. Gaius sat down next to the boy, trying to make up words out of it.
« What language is that? » asked the young servant.
« None. The fever's taken hold. » he starting taking Merlin's wrist to take his pulse  « None of these are his own. His pulse is weaker. » he said but as he let down his wrist he saw something. When he rolled up the sleeve there was a mark on his forearm.
« What is it ?»
« That can't be right. The rash is not supposed to appear until the final stage. » he said worried, and start looking through the book once again, there was a second page that they didn't see earlier.
« What does that mean? »
« It says here that, once the rash appears death will follow within two days. » he read with a magnifying glass
« You said he had four days. »
«  something's increased the flower's potency. Magic, someone had to used an enchantment will preparing the of the poisoned » he repeated what he had said earlier to Y/N but of course letting out the healing power part.
« enchantment? But Bayard's no sorcerer. »
« No, he isn't. » Gaius confirmed
« Then who did this? » gwen asked. Gaius thoughts for a long second before someone came to his mind.
« It cant's have been She wouldn't dare come here. Unless... »
« Unless what? »
« What happened to the girl? »
« Which girl? »
« Just before Merlin burst into the hall, one of Bayard's serving girl took him outside. » he pressed
« She had dark hair; very beautiful » she said with bitterness
« Find her quickly ». And Gwen obliged

When she passed through the door, Merlin started to mumbled two names
« Y/N..... Arthur....

-

At the other side of the castle the King was in his ward's room, not very happy, after the guards informed him that Arthur wasn't in his chamber and was seen leaving the castle.

«  I expressly ordered Arthur not to go. » he exclaimed, knowing his ward had some sort of role in this situation.
« I'd say it work like a charm too » his ward replied
« Not another word! »
« My lips are sealed »
« I should have put him under lock and key. » he said passing in the room
« You can't chain him up every time he disagrees with you. »
« Just you watch me. I will not be disobeyed, especially by my own son. »
« No, of course you won't » she said sitting at her table and start writing silently in one of her book
« You knew about this, didn't you? » she said nothing « Morgana? Don't lie to me. »
« Arthur's old enough to make decisions for himself. »
« He's just a boy »
« Have you seen your son recently? You have to let him make his own mind up. »
« Even if it means letting him go to his death? »
« Nothing will happen to him, he's not alone »
« Oh I know that he's not alone, he was seen leaving with a woman, at first I thought it was you, but since you're in front of me I say it should be the apprentice is it not? » Morgana didn't said anything but it only confirmed it to the King «  I knew they were too close to my liking and that she forgot where she stand. If she's the one he's doing it for I'll make sure she'll be executed for treason. »
« You can't do that! And it's not only for her! If you like it or not she changed him and for the the better, and Merlin is Arthur friend too. »
« He's his servant not his friend ! »
« If you let Merlin die and get Y/N executed , he will never forgive you, and neither will I »'

-

In the Physician's chamber Gaius was next to Merlin tabbing his forehead, his fever has again worsened
« Let me Guess she wasn't there. » Gaius said as Gwen came back from the dungeon
« No one has seen her since the banquet. Who is she? » she replied
« Not who she claims to be . »
« But you know don't you? »
« Kara. Though that's not her name... not her real name anyway. »
« Then who is she? »
« A powerful sorceress. »
« Well, we should tell Uther. Maybe he could send riders out after her. »
« No, she'll be long gone. It's impossible to know where, though. Oh,no. »
« What? »
« She knows the only place an antidote can be found is the forest of baloch. Arthur and Y/N could be walking into a trap »
« Arthur .... Y/N... » it was as if Merlin heard Gaius