1.4 The Poison Chalice part 1

-
In the morning after the arrival of the King Bayard of Mercia Merlin had to help the other servants to prepare the enormous that would be happening at noon. And with a large bag full of Arthur's armour that he had to polish for today.

« Why do I always got landed with the donkey work? He asked Gaius

« You're a servant Merlin, that's what you do.e

« My arms lol be a foot longer by the time I get this lot inside. »

« It's character building. As the old proverb says, 'Hard work breeds... A harder soul.'

« There is no way that's a proverb. You just made that up. » Merlin accused as a servant passed between them

« I didn't » started gaius but was interrupted by the young woman falling letting all the laundry she had in her hands.

« Sorry » she apologised to both Merlin and Gaius

« That's all right » replied the young man

« Excuse me. » she continued as she slowly pick up her items from the ground

« Let me give you a hand with that » Merlin replied shouting a weird look at gaius before crouching down helping her. But when he looked up and catch her eyes, Merlin couldn't help but admire her beauty. She had incredible vivid blue eyes. As they both stood up. Merlin could only smile like an idiot at the young woman, missing the scolding look from Gaius.

« Hi » he greeted quietly. « I'm Merlin » he continued

« Kara » she replied shaking his hand « You're Arthur's servant » she acknowledge, but not asked « That must be such an honor. » she continued

« Uh, yeah, it is. Well someone's got to keep the place running. » Merlin replied and looked at Gaius for a few instant who had a disapproving look on his face

« Thank you Merlin. » she replied sweetly

« Hmm? Oh! Here yeah!. Uh, no problem» he replied handing her the little pillow he had picked up a few moments ago.

« It was nice meeting you. » Merlin could only nod completely lost at her beauty.

« Shouldn't you be busy running the place? » Gaius mocked him as Merlin couldn't take his eyes off the woman walking off.

Merlin shook his head at Gaius and went back to his work, and walked toward Arthur's room. There, he took out the clothes to prepare The Prince for the feast.

« Oh! » he exclaimed covering his nose with his arm from the smell emanating from the clothes. « When was the last time there were cleaned? » he asked the Prince.

« Last years sometime, before the feast of Beltane. » he replied

« Did it end in a food fight? » he asked putting the red vest on Arthur.

« Don't all feasts? »

« I wouldn't know. The airs and graces of the court are a mystery to me. »

« Tonight they won't be. »

« I'm going to be at the banquet? » Merlin asked excited

« Not quite » Arthur replied, bringing all Merlin's hope for a festive night without being a servant down. « You'll be there to make sure my cup doesn't run dry. If I have to sit through Bayard's boring speeches, i don't see why you should get out of it » he said taking off the vest and hand it to Merlin so he could wash it. « Be sure to polish the buttons. »

« Do you want to see what you'll be wearing tonight? »

« Won't this do? »

« No » he replied grinning. «  Tonight you'll be wearing the official ceremonial robes of the servants of Camelot. »