A Risky Profession

AN

This is NOT my normal fluff piece, sometimes you just need to write angst. They don't even get together by the time the story ends, I just needed to write this.

!TW/CW!

Su*cid*l ideation, b*llying references, depression.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hated my life from a young age. My classmates were mean to me and I had no friends. My parents were good, but they couldn't control what happened at school. They did notice however that I had depression when I was seven. They put me on meds for it and put me in therapy.

I wanted to die, but not enough to actually kill myself. So, when everyone was saying what job they wanted, most of my classmates said pro hero. They didn't act like heroes, but that's what they wanted to be. Most of them didn't have quirks that would be good for the job either. I did, sure I turned my brain into that of an animal a few times, but I just needed practice. I wanted to be a pro hero, not because I wanted to help people, which I did. I wanted to go into that field because pro heroes die, a lot. It is the most fatal occupation in the world.

I didn't tell anyone the real reason I wanted to be a pro hero. Not even my therapist, I was afraid she'd put me in the hospital. So, I trained my quirk and body. Thankfully the more my classmates realized that I really could be a pro hero, the more respect they treated me with. The problem was that the damage was done, I knew how they acted towards someone they thought was a nobody. I also learned that any friend I made was just my friend to say that they were friends with me before I went pro or to see my quirk. So, I just stayed to myself. Even after I graduated middle school and got into UA, my motive for becoming a hero remained the same.

I planned on staying by myself for the three years until graduation. It was easier that way. Unfortunately, a loud bubbly blond had other plans. The first day I got to class early, I was the first one there. My anxiety needed to make sure I had time to find the room and navigate to school even though I went through the commute several times before the semester started. I took out a book to read while I waited for class to start. That's when he showed up. He stood in front of my desk, I looked up to see who it was, not that I knew anybody. It was a boy with styled blond hair and a huge grin.

"Hi, I'm Togata Mirio!" I figured that there would be no way out of this interaction.

"Amajiki Tamaki," I responded coldly. I managed to keep the stutter out of my voice, I had said my name enough times that it was possible despite the high levels of anxiety I was feeling from being in a new place and talking to a stranger, which I correctly assumed was in my class. I looked back down at my book, hoping that he'd go away. He did not.

"What'cha reading?" he asked, he seemed to be trying to befriend me? I had enough experience with "friends," that I didn't care. I figured in the long run; it would be easier to indulge him rather than ignore him. At the time I didn't realize that I was something he actually cared about.

"Th-the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Gal-laxy," I stuttered a bit as I showed him the cover of the classic novel.

"What's it about?" he was now leaning on my desk. I prayed that class would start, there seemed to be about twenty kids in the room and someone that looked like a living cement block was standing behind the teacher's desk.

"Th-the Earth is destroyed and one hum-man and his alien friend esc-scape and travel the galaxy. it's a comity," I cursed my stutter that I tried to keep under control. I didn't want to paint a target on my back on the first day. He didn't comment on my stutter vocally or show it in his body language. I was confused. That doesn't happen. My confusion must have shown on my face as he commented on it.

"What's wrong Tamaki?" Tamaki? He had only known me for a few minutes, and he was using my given name? I didn't correct him, it was harmless enough for me to let it slide. I had been called much worse.

"I-it's no-othing," I shook my head. Luckily it was time for class to start as our sensei told us all to take our seats.

The morning consisted of a rundown of the program and how it would be different from non-hero courses. After that we had a math lesson, it was nothing too complicated. My brain drifted back to Togata, why was he so nice to me. Lunch came around and he came up to me, he still had that smile on his face. He asked me to have lunch with him. I saw no way out, so I agreed. I'd just let him talk. After we had English and art history, I did not expect the latter to be part of the school curriculum. Once classes were over, I rushed home, not giving him a chance to approach me. I didn't know what to make of him.

The next morning, I got to school early and started reading and was, once again interrupted by Togata. He started talking to me about yesterday's lessons. We both agreed that art history was a weird thing for them to be teaching us. Once again, he didn't seem annoyed by my stutter. That day we had hero training. Cementoss-sensei wanted to see our quirks in action. I had a variety of foods earlier so I was able to show what my quirk could do. I messed up a little. I'm not used to being watched. I don't like being watched, luckily my brain was unchanged. I don't know how Togata managed it. His quirk left him naked! And he was willing to show everyone what his quirk can do naked! I would be mortified.

At lunch, he asked me to sit with him again. I just let him talk, he was interesting. at the end of the day, I didn't rush out either. I gave him a chance to talk to me. He did, we started to walk home together, but we didn't live near each other, so it wasn't a long walk.

The next day when I got to school, I hoped that he'd come up to talk to me again. My logical mind told me that he would, but my anxiety brain wasn't so sure. My logical brain was right, as usual. We talked until class started. Then had lunch together. Then we'd talk for a little bit after class before going our separate ways. After a few days, I realized that I had made a true friend. It was weird but nice. I never had one of those before.

After a few more weeks of this, he asked me if I wanted to go to a park after school. I agreed. It was nice. He made me feel loved? After a few more weeks with him, I started to realize that I didn't want to die.

All thanks to a loud bubbly blond that wouldn't let me read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoyed!

Please click that like star! This lets other people find this story!(and makes me happy)

Please tell me what you thought of this chapter/story!

Constructive criticism is welcome.

You have no idea how much joy I get from someone liking/commenting on my work. Also the more responses I get from you readers, the more motivation I have to write.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~