The Difference between Semicolons and Colons

So some of you might be thinking, wait, what? There's a difference? And then there might be the rest of you shaking your heads and smiling because you've already been there, done that and don't need any more advice.

If you are part of the latter, great! Feel free to read on if you wish. As for the former... well, you might want to stick around. For those of you that don't know quite what semi-colons and colons are, allow me to show you.

; = Semicolon

: = Colon

Part One: Colons

1. Separating Items in a List

One of the main uses of a colon that you probably have seen many times before is when they are used to separate items in a list. There's really no need for a large explanation about this as you can pretty much figure out exactly what I mean by the following examples.

Example #1: Mary's grocery list consisted of the following: butter, lunch meat, chicken, and eggs.

However, be careful not to confuse it with this next example.

Example #2: Mary went to the store to buy butter, lunch meat, chicken, and eggs.

You do not need to use a colon in example two. The colon is used in the first sentence because it is needed to make the sentence complete. The second example is already complete so there is no need for any extra punctuation.

2. Expanding on a Sentence

A colon can be used with two independent clauses if, and only if, the second clause expands, illustrates, or explains the first. In most cases, a semicolon can be used as well. It's up to you to decide for yourself which one works best for the context you are using it in.

Example #1: Andy was proud: he really earned that promotion.

Or...

Example #2: Andy was proud; he really earned that promotion.

3. Introducing a long Quotation

This is used very often. You may have used them when writing chapter's in a word document, after a dictionary definition in your English notes, or in lab reports for school. Maybe you noticed the colon's I've been using after "example". Many people mistake them for titles or sub-titles. If you are introducing a large piece of text or clarifying what you are talking about, there's a large possibility that you used a colon.

Example #1:

Chapter 1:

Jenny's hair was on fire. There was no doubt about that. Attempting to smother the flames, she snatched her mother's favourite blanket and whipped it at her head frantically, panic growing in her chest....

Example #2:

Manipulated Variable: The thing that you are changing.

Notice that in these particular examples, there is a capital following the colon. In most cases, you would not capitalize the sentence following. This is an exception to the rule!

4. Dependant Clauses

This is probably the most important thing for you to take away from this tutorial on colons. A colon is used when a comma does not work very well and a period is not appropriate. That would mean that there is an independent clause and a dependant clause connected by a colon.

Example: Daniel had quite a reputation for being one thing: a dirty liar.

The first sentence is complete and can stand on it's own, therefore making it an independent clause. However, the second part of the sentence isn't complete at all. It is a fragment sentence and depends on an independent clause to make it work.

5. Formal Salutations

You are most likely used to seeing "Dear So-and-So," when reading a letter, with a comma at the end. This isn't always the best way to go, however. If it is a very formal letter, it is polite to put a colon at the end of the salutation.

Example: Dear Senator:

6. Ratios

Yes, I know this is math, not english but a colon in this case means "is equal to". Sometimes you can use a colon when one side equals the other.

Example #1: Her hair: plain and in need of a wash.

This is example is absolutely not recommended for you to use unless your character is writing down notes for a crime scene, etc. 

Example #2: Your Style: Your Story

The second example is a title for a later chapter in my book. Sometimes you can use colons for titles! Think of it this way. If you can replace "is" with the colon, it is correct. If you can't then it is not. Remember, this is only for ratios and colons. The situations above are different.

Part Two: Semicolons

Rule 1:

You can only use a semicolon with two independent clauses. If both parts of the sentence are not independent, you cannot use a semicolon. You have to use a colon for it to be correct.

Rule 2:

There is a reason that a semicolon is a period atop a comma. A semicolon would take the place of a period or comma when the pause isn't as brief as with a comma, but doesn't come to a full stop as with a period.

Rule 3:

Semicolons are often used to format sentences differently. It is easy to over-use semicolons, so use them sparingly. They can have a lot of impact when used now and then but if in every paragraph, they can lose their charm. I struggle with this so I'm not saying I'm perfect, but that you should try to be better than I am.

Rule 4:

You might have come across a time where you were listing things in a list that already had commas in them and they sounded like they were separate even though they were not supposed to be. For instance, cities and provinces.

Example #1: I went to Toronto, Ontario, Los Angeles, California, and Vancouver, British Columbia.

Although this technically isn't incorrect, it can be confusing. Los Angeles, California is one place, but it sounds like two. You can clarify this by separating these places with semicolons.

Example #2: I went to Toronto, Ontario; Los Angeles, California; and Vancouver, British Columbia.

That concludes my talk about semicolons and colons! I hope that this at least helped you to differentiate between the two if it didn't inspire you to write using this form of punctuation. Remember, if I forgot something I will not be offended if you point it out. Thanks for reading!